Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it true that....

Thumbs down Is it true that....

Hi everybody,
    My daughter is 8 months old. I have recently cut back pumping at work to 1X (at lunch). I work Mon, Wed and Fri. On those days I nurse at 6:30am and then pump at 12pm and then nurse again around 6:30 pm. I am having trouble while at home with my daughter because I am trying to limit her feeds to just the times that I would be able to feed her (and the one time I can pump) while I'm at work. I need to supplement with a bottle of EBM because of it. The problem is that I used to demand feed her and so it having a schedule for nursing really is difficult for both of us. I heard that I could demand feed her on the days that we are together and still get away with pumping only once a day at work and my body would just know what to do on each day. Is this true? [/B][/B]I'm afraid that I will end up with a plugged duct or mastitis if I do this or that my daughter will not get enough to eat. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? And if it is true would it be possible to stop pumping at work and still feed her myself on the days we are together?
    BTW, I don't get paid for the time I'm pumping and we really need the money. Plus it was really getting stressful and making me think of quitting altogether so I figured dropping down to once was better than quitting. And I do enjoy nursing for the most part.
    Thanks for any input you offer.
    Last edited by zenamc; February 12th, 2006 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Needed to make a change

Default Re: Is it true that....

You don't say how old your baby is but I think most moms demand feed at night and when they are home if baby is able to take some solids in addition to the pumped breast milk while with the sitter. I've never tried to nurse on a schedule but I can imagine it must be very frustrating for both of you. If you are getting engorged at work and don't have time to pump more often try just hand expressing a bit on your bathroom breaks.
    I think a lot really depends on how old your baby is and what her needs are.

momuvseven

Your body won't just go "Ooo, its Monday, time to change to weekday nursing schedule!" so it might mean that you need to find some middle ground between the two situations.

On the days you work, do you find you are getting engorged during the day? If not, then it may be that your body has adjusted to this schedule better than you think.

If you are feeling comfortable with the pumping once a day, are you able to adjust your circumstances in the evening when you get home so you can concentrate on holding and feeding your dd? Does she eat much in the way of solid food? Some babies will hold out while Mum is at work (only drink the bare minimum), and do what we can "reverse cycling" where they receive the bulk of their breastmilk by night. Mum's in that situation generally find it more restful to co-sleep! If this sounds like it might work for you, then do ensure you get hold of the safety guidelines for safe sleeping - there is a information sheet available from La Leche League called Safe Sleep.

Best wishes!

I think that if you just nurse baby on demand on the days that you are home and pump 1x on the days that you are working then you'll be okay. If you are prone to plugged ducts or mastitis then you may have to tweak the situation a bit. Perhaps if you are feeling too uncomfortable on a work day then you can go into the restroom & manually express some milk off to make yourself more comfy?

I can tell you that when my current nursling was about 15 months old I stopped pumping at work for her (I worked full-time Mon-Fri 8 to 5) but I still nursed her on demand on the weekends. I went into Monday feeling a bit full but nothing too uncomfortable. By Wednesday my breasts had adjusted. Baby did a LOT of nursing on Saturdays to increase my supply and by Sunday my body responded. It was a lot of yo-yo'ing with my supply but it worked for us

Good luck! Kudos to you for knowing that breastfeeding isn't an "all or none" situation & for continuing to nurse your baby

Good for you for continuing to nurse your baby even though you are working too!
    I worked full-time with my first child, and I can remember many times being so worried about a situation (like dropping one of my pumping sessions), only to find that.....nothing happened. It was no problem.

My suggestion is to enjoy your daughter when you are together. Let her nurse whenever she indicates she needs it. Remember that breastfeeding is more than just a food delivery system-- it's a relationship with your child. If you find yourself a bit full or uncomfortable at work, express just enough to get comfortable--by hand or maybe with a small manual pump. One of the best ways to avoid plugged ducts and mastitis is to minimize stress and take care of yourself. Worrying about a strict nursing/pumping schedule and perhaps denying a child who needs to nurse sounds pretty stressful to me!

As your child gets older, the fluctuations in her nursing pattern won't have as big an effect on your body. Probably by age 12-18 months or so it will become a non-issue for you. I believe I stopped pumping at work when my daughter was about a year old (I went to see her on my lunch hour for some time after that, however). We just nursed when we were together and it all worked out. Our bodies are amazingly adaptable, as are our children. Keep up the good work!

Dawn

Could you still demand feed when you're with your baby? Your sitter can feed your baby on demand, too.