Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started too early!

Default Started too early!

My DH and I are on the same page about waiting on starting solids until at least 6 months. However, my DD is just past 5 months and in the 93rd percentile all around, she's sitting up, grasping for toys and playing with them, and doing very well all around. Recently, she's discovered napkins while we're eating. She fusses if we don't give her one. We thought it was cute because she'd play with it, but now she's basically eating it. So, because of her coordinating, we wanted her to "try" a little banana in one of those mesh teething rings. Well, we gave her one once and she was just kinda licking it. The next morning we gave it to her again she was seriously sucking the banana out of the mesh bag! Now I'm sitting back thinking, 'I was going to wait until Thanksgiving to start and now I've done it.' Huge, major guilt.

I bought rice cereal today and have no intention on starting her on it until Thanksgiving, like I said. I figure if we're ready to start her, we'll feed her frozen BM slushee to practice with the spoon maybe on the weekends. Is it OK to keep giving her banana in the mesh bag maybe 5 times a week until we "officially" start? I figure tasting a banana would be better than a napkin. Is that OK? Am I bad mommy?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Default Re: Started too early!

I don't know about the solids stuff. We aren't starting until Thanksgiving too. BUT what I do know is ...You are NOT a bad mommy!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I would be sparing with the banana at first since it can cause constipation. But, no reason to feel guilty for letting your lo experiment!
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I wouldn't go an feed your LO and entire meal at this age but she seems like her coordination is pretty good...
    Playing with a little food here or there will help her along...
    I agree with fitmama, No harm in experimenting....

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

If you go ahead with the breastmilk slushies in the mesh feeder, she will think she's eating food too - and then you don't have to worry about the solids taking place of your milk in her tummy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    If you go ahead with the breastmilk slushies in the mesh feeder, she will think she's eating food too - and then you don't have to worry about the solids taking place of your milk in her tummy.
    Missed this in your post...
    I agree with this totally....Great start!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Just a note: You don't even have to give her rice cereal if you don't want to! There are plenty of other good first foods!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Just a note: You don't even have to give her rice cereal if you don't want to! There are plenty of other good first foods!
    Cereal has vitamins and minerals, but other than that it's just straight starch. Not the healthiest stuff! You can start with fruits and veggies instead, if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    This is a terrific idea.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fitmama View Post
    I would be sparing with the banana at first since it can cause constipation. But, no reason to feel guilty for letting your lo experiment!
    again. If you continue with solids, watch out for the constipating ones: bananas, apples, white flour products (like bread), and white rice (including rice cereal).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for the support and great ideas.

However, on a related side-note, she is doing worse about sleeping. She slept through starting at 5 weeks, but gradually she's waking up every 1 to 3 hours at night to feed. All these mamas say to start her on solids and she'll start sleeping through. Is there truth to this? I've heard otherwise.

Also, how do you make breastmilk slushies? Just BM in an ice cube tray, but isn't it too hard?

Also, what are less constipating first fruits and veggies?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

All these mamas say to start her on solids and she'll start sleeping through. Is there truth to this? I've heard otherwise.
    No, studies have shown that babies who get solids before bedtime are no more likely to sleep through than those who don't.

Also, what are less constipating first fruits and veggies?
    All fruits except bananas and apples are non-constipating, but the "P" fruits are especially good: prunes, plums, peaches, pears.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"