Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medela freestyle & pumping questions

Default Re: Medela freestyle & pumping questions

I've been pumping at work now for 8 months. I think every mother worries about her ability to provide for their child after returning to work. I didn't start pumping until about 6 weeks. I had a good supply at that point and began pumping right after DS would go down for his longest stretch of sleep. While at work I don't take a lunch and break up the time I would have taken for lunch and pump instead (3 times). I still do my late night pumping session after my little guy is in bed. I take what I pumped the day before to send w/ my son to the sitters. Anything extra gets frozen for times when I can't seem to pump enough. My extra came in handy for work travel!

I have been pumping for almost a year now. You will start to get more out as time goes on and you will be able to pump the milk your baby needs while you are at work.

You'll use the freezer stash on the first day of the week and then fresh milk from the day before as the week goes on. Be sure to rotate your freezer stock.

I remember how stressful it was to pump when Lilah was so small - I was worried that I would pump and she would want to nurse and then I wouldn't have any milk. What I did was nurse her in the football hold and then pump the other side when she nursed. I was able to get a lot more milk that way. Right now every ounce you're pumping out is in addition to what your baby is already getting - so 20 ml is normal and 1-1.5 oz is pretty good.

He will start nursing less frequently, but it may be a while longer yet. Be careful with the pumping and don't get too carried away with it. I accidentally kicked myself into oversupply which was not fun to deal with.

I am down to pumping once a day at work now, but I used to pump three times. I would rinse the horns out with hot water and let air dry. The final time of the day, I would sterilize the horns, etc. in the microwave. At the end of the week I bring all that stuff home and wash it in hot soapy water.

In your situation I would just rinse in between pumping sessions or put it in a cooler, and then wash with hot soapy water at home at night. I wash bottles out every night, it would not be any extra work to wash the parts.

Good luck - you can do this!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I think the 3 pumping sessions is the maximum that i can go once i start working, which include 2 sessions during commute unless I want to stay in the office to pump before i go home but i think that will waste another half an hour in the office (i still haven't figure out how to pump while driving & how to hide the 2 breastpump)

Right now my boy is 4 weeks old. I'm pumping 1oz every morning. Mayb i'll pump another session pre-bed if he's not that fussy or can sleep longer.

Sometime i felt the letdown in btw feeding. Should i pump as well? but it'll take away his feed after that right? because the breast is so empty.

After reading kellymom, i realize that my storage capacity is only 1.5-2oz per breast. No matter how long is the interval of breastfeeling /pumping, i can only get 3-4oz each time (both side)

my bb is 4 weeks old now. Suddenly the whole yesterday he starts nursing non-stop & pulling off at night. My breast is so empty & not much of milk flowing though there is letdown. I know he's pulling off bcoz he can't get much milk (previously i can hear the swallowing sound each time he drink). I was so distress & it made things worst (difficult letdown after that). I was so tired & worry until this morning. I think he might hit a growth spurt now. This morning, I pump out 0.5oz from 1 side only because I scare that he would want to nurse again. Wondering whether I should continue pumping in the morning or wait till his feeding pattern become more consistent 1st? If he's still feeding non-stop, I don't think I can get enuf milk for him by the time I start working.

Usually, what you get out with a pump is less than what your baby can get out directly. I wouldn't worry that you LO isn't getting enough unless there is inadequate weight gain. If they nurse frequently, they will receive what they need and will increase the supply for a growth spurt. If you are concerned that the weight gain is insufficient, you can try increasing your supply with herbs and/or oatmeal. I personally like oat bran as it's creamier.
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.

very difficult to estimate his longest stretch of sleep bcoz he still don't have a consistent pattern. At the moment, he either nurse non-stop for few hrs or nurse hrly. At night also 1-2hrly. I think I'll still pump in the morning on 1 side while he nurse the other side. Usually he's less fussy in the morning. Somemore when he nurse, i can get a letdown within few seconds. If i pump both side without nursing,sometime take so long to get a letdown even with my medela freestyle. Don't know how to solve this problem yet... the more i worry, the more difficult to get a letdown by pumping.

I am eating oatmeal everyday since day 1. I think it helps in supply. I think he's getting enough bcoz he has very good output & the weight gain is alright. Just that, I am a bit tired when he's fussy & pulling off. I can't do any other things than nursing. (I have another 2 year old kid at home at night. Don't have much time with him after bb born). Sometime just so tempted to give formula so tat he'll be settled

My boy is 5wks old now. i m getting more comfortable with pumping in the morning. i pump 1 side while he nurse the other side, can get 1.5oz each time. By the time i go back to work, i should have store up about 90oz (can be used for 6days if he's taking 15oz per day at 3months old)

Wondering whether I should offer him a bottle from now onwards so that he won't refuse bottle when i get back to work 2 mths later? If offer him a bottle is the right decision, when is the best time to offer? Every morning 9am? Or just once a week will do? I don't want to end up like my friend's son who drink extremely little & cried when she go to work, the baby sitter has to offer the bottle many times before he can finish a 3oz bottle.

I'm also pumping almost at every feeding while DD nurses on the other side. And, we're now struggling to get her to take a bottle - any bottle - at 2 months. I'd say go ahead and offer a bottle in the middle of the day. Perhaps after your son has had a little to stave off the hunger pangs but while he still has a drive to eat. As long as you watch for any nipple confusion, I don't know if every day is necessary but it might be. Start with one day and see how it goes... Worst case scenario, you have an opportunity to go get a mani/pedi while someone else watches the baby.

Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.