Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medela freestyle & pumping questions

Default Medela freestyle & pumping questions

I just bought a medela freestyle. Wondering whether I can sterilize the softfit & membrane? They r very soft, I heard that sterilizing can harden it, is it true? Then what should I do to clean them properly? Boiling or can i just pour in hot water?

I heard that v need to air dry or dry the pump parts before assembly. But if i had sterilizater the the pump parts & let them air dry,then the parts won't be that clean anymore right?

After each use,
    1. can i just rinse with tap water & air dry them & resuse? Or must I wash all parts with soapy water.
    2. Can i keep all parts in a container & keep in refrigerator & reuse? i was told that if i do so, the milk can become harden & spoilt the membrane/other parts. Is it true?

My bb is 3 wks old now. I'll be back to work when he's 3 mths old (working hours 10am to 6pm and I need to commute for 1-1.5hrs each journey). I want to store up the express milk from now but i'm afraid that an extra pumping in the morning can take away his milk & make him fussy. So, i alwaz let him nurse 1 side only in the morning (sometime he'll cluster feed) and then pump out the other side (which i can only get 1-1.5oz). I don't think i can store enough for him. Any suggestions?

thanks for helping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Medela freestyle & pumping questions

the softfit "horns" - can sterilize in boiling water but NOT in a microwave

letting air dry is fine

I typically only sterilize before 1st use of pump equipment, otherwise I hand wash with a mild soap and then let air dry on a clean towel on the counter
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

U mean i can't sterilize using medela microwave sterilizer bag or avent sterilizer?

when you're away from baby - he'll need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour

for 10 hours that's 10 to 15 oz

getting the pumping output you have now is great - at 3 weeks you're still building supply

when you start pumping to replace pumping sessions (at work) you should be able to get more
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tckj View Post
    U mean i can't sterilize using medela microwave sterilizer bag or avent sterilizer?
    Why not? I sterilize everything in the Avent Microwave sterilizer and haven't seen any problems...

I called Medela customer service - they said the softfit "horns" are made of silicone and will degrade (get stiff, I think) if sterilized in the microwave.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I called Medela customer service - they said the softfit "horns" are made of silicone and will degrade (get stiff, I think) if sterilized in the microwave.
    hmm... I've been sterilizing in the microwave for almost 5 months and they haven't gotten stiff. I also haven't replaced the horns either.. maybe I should though. Don't know when we are supposed to do that anyway.

Well ... it says pretty clearly in the freestyle instruction manual not to sterilize the softfit horns in the microwave.

When I called they said its not recommended because the horns will get stiff.

I guess you can sterilize however you want and realize that if you use the microwave you'll likely need to replace those parts sooner.

I've been sterilizing after every pumping session because I'm donating to a milk bank and that's what they instruct to do. I've just been doing it on the stove. Put the washed parts in a pot, add cold water, bring to a boil.

If I was just pumping for my LO I wouldn't be sterilizing.

IME Medela has good customer service. When in doubt give them a call.
    Lynn

Thanks everyone for great answer & support. I am going to boil the softfit but sterilize other parts with sterilizer. I think i'll do it once a day when i started to work. And maybe I'll keep all parts in a container in a refrigerator & reuse till I'm back home. And if I have time, maybe i'll rinse with tap water & air dry & reuse. Is that alright?

I can only pump once a day at the moment. I pump 1 side while bb nurse the other side. If the breast is full, i can get 1-1.5oz but bb just nurse 1-2hrs ago, i can only get 20ml. Very difficult to add pumping sessions in btw bcoz he don't have a consistent nursing time. But he usually sleep more in the morning (that's y i can pump once). Afternoon, he'll cluster feed for few hrs then sleep well for 2 hrs. Pre-bed he'll cluster feed till he sleep. Midnite he'll wake up every 2 hrs to feed. I m very tired by night, so don't have strength to pump again.

another question, I'll beback to work in 2 mths time. Probably i can pump while commute (i m the driver as well), then pump one more session during lunch ie 9am, 1-2pm, then 6pm ( i took very long to get a letdown by pumping). So, i can't pump more frequent in the office because the work is heavy & i m afraid that the bozz will look for me. The more I m worry, the more difficult for me to get a letdown. Probabaly i can get 9oz in total but since he'll be taking 10-15oz, i'm afraid that i can't get enuf for him. Even i start storing from now, I can probably get 30-60oz (will be use up in 2-4days). How can I store more in these 60days? He's nursing quite frequent.

I'm sure a more experienced pumper can jump in, but maybe give it another week or two to build up more milk by your baby's own nursing and then start pumping on one side while you feed on the other? Your body will adjust and he's due to hit a growth spurt soon. Are you allowed breaks in addition to your lunch time? If so, those would be great pumping times. Can you reduce your lunch time by half and then take the other half of your lunch split into two pumping sessions if no formal "break" times? I see smokers taking all kinds of breaks all day long - expressing milk for our babies is even more important.