Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping at work only 1x in 8hr

Default pumping at work only 1x in 8hr

I am a nurse on a busy unit and only have time to eat and pump once a day. I do try to go back more often... but it seems impossible most times. Thankfully I work part time. But I am worried that I may have to start supplementing with formula. DD takes about 9-10 oz while I'm at work. She is 9months and eats solids 3x a day. She nurses at least once a night... mostly for comfort but after I work it is due to hunger. Any suggestions??? Can I just pump for 5 mins to get another session in?? I only have one more bag of BM in freezer, so I rely on pumping up to my day. I only get 3-4ozs a pumping session. This morning only 1 oz!!

Default Re: pumping at work only 1x in 8hr

If you can get that other 5min session in at work it's better than nothing. I get most of my milk on that initial letdown anyway. I also, pump at home whenever I can. I block feed at night and pump the "unused" side in the morning before work. You might also pump about an hour after your LO goes to bed at night.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Smile Re: pumping at work only 1x in 8hr

Thanks, I have tried pumping before going to bed about 1-2 hours after DD goes to sleep. I usually only get about 1 oz. If I continue after a few days will I see more at this pumping??? She usually nurses like crazy before she goes to bed. Thanks again for the support.

yes, consistant pumping should up your supply. I'm a nurse too and I totally understand the only being able to pump once, I do try for 2 times but if nothing else I pump as soon as my shift is over and I've reported (so if I need to stay and chart at least I've pumped). I also keep my pump set up in the break room after my first pump so the second time all I have to do is grab the horns from the fridge, screw on bottles, plug them in and pump quick. That saves a lot of time. I usually pump for 10 min twice. Pump on your days off too, I've started pumping after the morning feeding and started with an oz and now am up to 4-5. That makes for a great freezer stash and has helped me feel better about the days I don't pump so much!
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!

I also try to pump after Emily goes to bed, if I am still up! Even if it is just another ounce or two it all adds up!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

What is block feeding?

Block feeding is when you offer the same breast to nurse a few times in a row. I block feed at night. That way my other breast is very full in the morning allowing me to pump plenty of milk in a short amount of time b/f I go to work.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Thank you all for the great suggestions, especially getting the pump set up prior to pumping to just have to go in and pump.