Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipples after pumping

Default nipples after pumping

It is normal for your nipples to feel really hard after pumping for 10-15min? I wear a slightly padded bra and can still see my nipples through it. One day I actually thought there was something in my bra (other than my boob) because it was like a rock in there.

I pump after I nurse so I don't know how it affects dd. They always go back down before next feeding. I just didn't know if I was pumping too hard/too much suction or if this is normal?

Default Re: nipples after pumping

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carla.mom View Post
    It is normal for your nipples to feel really hard after pumping for 10-15min? I just didn't know if I was pumping too hard/too much suction or if this is normal?
    Try pumping at a slower speed or with less suction, but mine do too. It's funny that you posted this today because after I pumped at noon, I walked out into the main area here at work and one of my clients kept just looking at my boobs. I didn't look down until I got back into my office to find my nipples were at attention
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Default Re: nipples after pumping

If I decrease speed/suction, will I have to pump for longer times to get all of the milk out? Most of the time I can get 3.5 total oz (1oz on right, 2.5oc on left) in about 10 min. In the morning I get 7-8 total oz in 10-15 min.

Hand pumping I tend to get the suction/speed down so it feels most comfotable, but there's only so much manual pumping I can stand in one day, so I go with a double electric.