Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only likes sweet foods

Default Only likes sweet foods

Hi

My LO is 7 and half months old now, and I am feeding him 3 meals a day. Sometimes he will finish his meal, but a lot of the time it takes a lot of persuading to get him to eat a few spoonfuls of any meat or veg. He has no problems eating fruit though for dessert, or yoghurt.

It feels like a battle to get him to eat more meat or veg - I don't want him to have bad feelings about eating.

Does anyone have any solutions?
    The few times I have tried jar savoury foods, he seems to like them! Maybe he just does not like my home cooking.

I am breastfeeding him at least 5 times during the day and also during the night too, sometimes up to 3 times! Am I giving him too much breast milk? I want to continue breastfeeding, but he sometimes hardly eats his meals, and its not even that much. Its hard to know what quantity of food is right, but sometimes he only eats a few weaning spoonfuls!

Any advice much appreciated!

Default Re: Only likes sweet foods

At that age breast milk it's still the most important food for your baby. Breast milk is very sweet so I wouldn't worry about your LO liking more sweets. Also, fruits are a healthy sweet dessert so...

I wouldn't force him to eat, kids won't starve, they'll eat eventually, I offer to my girls good healthy choices and then it's their job to eat if they feel like it.

Again, at your lo's age food is just for experimenting with new textures, enjoy!

You are not breastfeeding him too much! Your 7 month old eats more solids than my 12 month old, it sounds like. I wouldn't be worried about how much/what he's eating at this point - he has the rest of his life to learn to like meats and veggies.

You could make your own puree of veggie or meat with your milk and maybe he would like it then...
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

There are veggies that are on the sweet side. DD2 *loves* sweets, but also goes to town on peas and carrots. Those have always tasted sweeter to me. Have you tried those?

Like a PP mentioned, fruit is still healthy. I wouldn't worry.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ak411 View Post
    There are veggies that are on the sweet side. DD2 *loves* sweets, but also goes to town on peas and carrots. Those have always tasted sweeter to me. Have you tried those?

Like a PP mentioned, fruit is still healthy. I wouldn't worry.
    And sweet potatoes! My girl loves the orange colored food group
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Don't worry too much. Breastmilk is still the most important food. In fact my 13 month old didn't really eat anything until closer to a year. She still mostly eats fruit and yogurt but nurses at least 5-6 times a day so I know she's making up for any nutrients she doesn't get from food. He will eat when he is ready.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tmwmommy View Post
    Breastmilk is still the most important food.

When the baby is under a year, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They're not necessary for nutrition until after the 1st birthday, at which point the transition to a majority-solids diet can be a very gradual one, with many babies still eating mostly breastmilk well into the second year. I know my daughter was still a mostly-breastfed baby until she was around 14-15 months old. Up to that point, she ate perhaps a teaspoon or two of solids per day. It never did her any harm- she hit all her milestones on time or early and has always been a big, strong, active kid.

When feeding solids, remember that it's not your responsibility to get the baby to eat: it's to present healthy choices, and allow him to choose among them. Fruit and unsweetened yogurt are healthy choices, so I see no problem with continuing with those!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    When feeding solids, remember that it's not your responsibility to get the baby to eat: it's to present healthy choices, and allow him to choose among them. Fruit and unsweetened yogurt are healthy choices, so I see no problem with continuing with those!
    This is why I really like baby-led solids. If you put healthy foods out for baby, then baby can eat exactly how much he or she wants, no more, no less. And you can much more easily back out of the role of "having to feed the baby".
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    This is why I really like baby-led solids. If you put healthy foods out for baby, then baby can eat exactly how much he or she wants, no more, no less. And you can much more easily back out of the role of "having to feed the baby".
    Me too. BLS was so much less work! I was talking to a friend with a 11 month-old recently and she gave this HUGE sigh and said "I can't wait for him to feed himself! I am so sick of the spoon!" All I could think is "Thank goodness my kid would never take the spoon," because it ended up being so much less work for me. Just dump some food on her tray, and be done!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks all.

I was just worried, because of what I've been reading about babies getting enough iron from solids, and reading that breast milk is not enough after 6 months. Was also worried because of hearing the big quantities that some babies eat! I will try not to worry and stress about it now. Want my LO to have positive and happy experiences with eating!