Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is going on???

Default What is going on???

Hi...I'm pretty much desperate and need some advice please!

My DD will be 5 months this coming Saturday. I BF her at home and I pump 3 times a day at work (I work 7:30am-4pm), 5 days a week. I've been using a Lactina pump and have been having great success with it.

Today, I pumped 2 ounces less than usual. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I've ALWAYS been very consistent and have pumped the same amount everyday for the past 9 weeks since I've gone back to work.

When I was nursing my DD tonight, my breasts didn't feel as full as they usually do and she kept pulling off and crying. I nursed her for 45 minutes and she still seemed unsatisfied. I'm now pumping and usually get between 3-4 ounces during this time, and I'm looking down and will be lucky to get an ounce and a half.

Like I said, I'm a pretty consistent person and have been nursing and pumping since May/June, so am not sure where this change is coming from. AF has not come back yet and I haven't started any new medications or have done anything different for that matter. This situation is new to me!

Am I losing my supply all of a sudden? I'm ready to cry...please give me your thoughts. Thank you!

Default Re: What is going on???

Hi there!
    I found this info from kellymom...
    "When your milk supply regulates (this change may occur either gradually or rather suddenly), it is normal for pumping output to decrease. For moms who have oversupply, this change often occurs later (6-9+ months postpartum rather than 6-12 weeks)."
    "It is normal for pumping output to vary from session to session and day to day. Having an occasional low volume day is not unusual."

more info here..
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

I've heard some women say that their supply is low and they don't get very much when they pump on Mondays, after having the weekend with their child.

Many working and pumping moms have found that eating oatmeal is very helpful for increasing pumping output.

I hope that helps.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Has your period returned since having your baby? Lots of mammas notice a dip in their supply when their menstrual cycle is near.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thank you for your replies ladies...I really appreciate it.

Kimberly: Thank you for the link. My supply did regulate around 3 months PP and I don't think I would be considered to have an oversupply of milk, so am REALLY hoping this isn't another regulation, because I'm pumping enough to keep up with my DD. I guess we'll see. I am eating oatmeal every morning, not sure if it is actually helping.

Laura: AF has not come back yet...not sure if she is on her way?? Guess it will be a lovely surprise...

It just seems like this should be easier than it is, you know? Seems like there is always something to worry about - supply issues, lipase, etc. I hope our kids appreciate this when they are older!

Something else you might look into is your pump parts. Have you changed the valves/membranes (the little white flap)? Maybe they are getting worn out. Also, something I noticed was that at the beginning I needed the HUGE shields (36 mm) and now I am down to a 27 mm on the right and a 24 mm (the standard size) on the left.

I haven't replaced those parts yet, as I use so many different sets each day, but seeing as how it's been 4-5 months, I probably should! Will definitely try that.

It concerned me that my DD seemed like she wasn't getting enough milk last night...my assumption is that that was what the pulling off and crying was about? I pumped 1 1/2 ounces after, so maybe it wasn't, as there was still milk. Maybe my let downs were slower. So many maybes.

My pediatrician doesn't want me to start her on solids until between 5-6 months, but I'm wondering if BM is not going to cut it alone anymore.

It could be a growth spurt or maybe she's teething... or wasn't feeling good. There are lots of reasons for pulling off and crying. Or maybe your period is coming back like a pp suggested and you have a low supply for now due to that. I have read something about calcium/magnesium supplementation for that - maybe you could do a search on that.

Here are some links on low supply and increasing pumping output...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm betting you AF is on her way, 3 days tops don't worry it will bounce back!! try to drink lots of fluids in the meantime!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thank you again, everyone, for your advice and links! I think my DD is having teething issues...she was up for most of the night last night. I'm thinking that is why she was pulling off and crying a bunch when I was nursing her (I hear that sucking is painful when they are teething). I could be wrong...

My supply seems to be okay today. We'll see! May have been some low output days...or maybe AF is coming back...

So everything went back to normal for a while and now I'm pumping less again! GRRR! AF has not come back...wouldn't she have by now? I've been told your supply dips for a few days and you are all set after that.

Question about changing parts - do you have to change the membranes AND valves, or just the membranes? Is it obvious when they are worn out? I've looked closely at the membranes and stretched them slightly...see no holes or cracks or anything.

Did anyone else experience a 5 month PP supply drop?? I'm so discouraged.