Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cross - Tips for Increasing Supply During the Day

Default Cross - Tips for Increasing Supply During the Day

Hi Ladies,

I posted this in the increasing supply forum, but figured I'd cross post here too since it deals with pumping.

I need some tips for increasing my supply during the day. My DD is 3 months old. I have a Medela Symphony. I typically feed my DD on the breast for the 5am and 7am feedings and she seems quite content with those. I work from 9am to 6pm M to F and pump 3 to 4 times while I'm at work. I turn on the let down mode (I don't know what you call it) 2 to 3 times during each session and I leave the pump on for 10 minutes after the last drops, but I'm not noticing any difference in output. I usually feed her on the breast again at 7:30pm and then right before bed and she's satisfied with each of these feedings. My output during the day is consistently 4 oz per session. My DH is a SAHD so he feeds her and I believe he is doing it correctly and not overfeeding - we've read the kellymom handout on how to bottlefeed. She typically eats every 2 1/2 hours (that's when she shows hunger signs). Lately though she's been showing hunger signs every 2 hours and her appetite is increasing. She was eating about 3 1/2 to 4 oz at a time and now it's either 4 oz every 2 hours or she wants 5 oz every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I'm not making that much during the day! I could get up and pump in the middle of the night since she sleeps through the night now but I'd rather not do that unless I really have to. I eat oatmeal a few times a week. I can't take Fenugreek or anything with Fenugreek in it because it causes migraines for me. She's very healthy and gaining weight like a champ - wets and dirties are right where they should be. Any ideas? I'm envious of those who produce 6 or more oz a session and would love to get to that point.

Default Re: Cross - Tips for Increasing Supply During the Day

I heard that Malted Chocolate Ovaltine helps with supply issues.
    I have also heard the same about Malt O Meal.

I wish I could give you more information!
    3.5 months Exclusively BFing

Hi there!
    It sounds like your baby is going through a growth spurt.
    Common times for growth spurts are during the first few days at home and around 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months (more or less).
    Adding pumping sessions after or between nursing sessions can be very helpful. Can you add another puming session at work?
    Be sure you are drinking liquids to thirst.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

How much is she eating during the day? I can't figure it out from your post. Kellymom also suggests 1 to 1.5 ounce per hour, it sounds like you are somewhere around 2 ounces per hour? You're pumping between 12 and 16 ounces each day? And your baby is eating around 16 ounces? Is that right?

Maybe it's because she's sleeping through the night, so she needs to eat more during the day?

A friend of mine had this issue and she added in pumping on the weekend. You could pump first thing in the morning which would do two things - one, give you a bit of reserve to spread over the week, and two - signal your body to produce more at that time and then you would pump more during the week.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

She's eating at least 16 oz (4 bottles of 4 oz each) but more like 20 or 22 oz. lately while I'm gone. I'm pumping 3 times a day and get 4 oz each time. It would be tough for me to add another pumping session at work with my schedule but I may have to try that.

If I pump first thing in the morning on the weekend, what does she eat? She eats twice in the morning before I go to work - usually around 5am and again around 7 and does the same on the weekend. I think she cluster feeds in the morning a bit because she sleeps through the night.

If she's going through a growth spurt, will she go back to where she was or stay where she is now?

Perhaps you could pump after the 7AM feeding on the weekends. When is her next feeding? Do you think she's actually eating 22 ounces from you during the day on the weekends? That sounds like a lot to me. You're never really empty, so you could even pump at 6 am and then feed her at 7 am and probably be ok. Although I hope you're sleeping at 6 am

I know you said that you don't think you are overfeeding her, but I think it's possible. 22 ounces in 9 hours sounds like an awful lot for a 3 month old baby. Her stomach is only the size of her fist.

I don't really know about the growth spurts. My daughter basically reverse cycled - so she eats mostly at night and then will only eat between 6 and 10 ounces of milk throughout the day. I can't remember noticing a 6 month growth spurt, although there have been several periods where she woke up every 45 minutes to nurse.

Over about 9 months, my pumping output has stayed fairly consistant, although I think I could pump out more than I do. I don't remember seeing an increase in pumping volume after growth spurts...

Could you have the wrong size shields? Have you tried changing anything on your pump? How long have you pumped 10 minutes past the time milk stops coming out? Have you tried compressions while pumping? That's what I do, I just squeeze the ladies while I'm pumping and it helps the milk come out faster.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the suggestions! I do the compressions and was fitted for the shields by a certified LC, so I feel like that's probably right. I've been doing the leaving the pump on for 10 minutes after the last drops thing for several weeks - no change that I've noticed. My husband swears up and down that she is actually hungry and showing all of the hunger signs - rooting, screaming, chewing on hands, etc. When she's hungry and we don't feed her, or don't feed her enough, she screams bloody murder. He feeds her on demand (not on a set schedule), but says if he gives her 4 oz bottles her demand is every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. He is very patient and a crying baby doesn't bother him much, so I don't think he's feeding her just to quiet her down.