Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weird Question

Smile Weird Question

My dd is five months old, and has been breastfed exclusively. She is a good weight, but her neck has rolls of skin, like a puppy. When she nurses or spits up, milk runs into her neck, and my dh and I wipe it out the best we can. Today we noticed a bad rash around her neck when we pulled all the skin back! I don't know how to keep this area completely dry so this won't happen. I don't know if/what I should put on her neck to help clear it up. Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Weird Question

Not a wierd question -- I think this is fairly common, actually. If the rash doesn't clear up promptly, you should have your health care provider look at it to rule out a yeast infection on the skin. That would require some special ointment.

Otherwise, well, there may be no guaranteed way to prevent it -- but just keep being vigilant about keeping the area clean. More frequent baths, perhaps? Perhaps a hairdryer on low setting to get the neck completely dry several times a day?

Once she is a little older and starts being more mobile, her neck will probably get more airflow and/or she will slim down so the rolls aren't so bunched up, and the rashes will likely stop occurring.

--Rebecca

My DD had a few little rashes like that in her Michelan man fat rolls. I always put diaper cream on it, assuming it was caused by more or less the same thing. It seemed to help her. If you think it's a bad rash, can't hurt to point it out to the pediatrician, though.

We have also used the diaper creme, seemed to wk for us?

Since chances are its bacterial, you can use expressed breastmilk on it after you wipe it off.
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

Ugh! My dd had that as well. I kept it as clean as possible, using a washcloth after she ate, or rinsing her in the sink (holding her over the sink and running my wet hand in that fold). I never put anything on it, just tried to keep it clean and as dry as I could and once she got bigger and that neck roll slimmed down it went away. Best of luck to you - I kno how nasty it is!