Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to make 13 mo take a bottle or cup or whatever?

Default How to make 13 mo take a bottle or cup or whatever?

My 13 mo just started nursery and I have to provide two bottles of breastmilk for her during her 6-7 hours stay there but she's never been fed on a bottle and would not accept one! They are trying to feed her breastmilk in her straw cup (she loves to drink water from it) or her sippy cup (not a favourite couse lo won't suck) but she would not take it. On top of that lo won't eat solids and she's basically quite happy to starve herself obviously not caring that her mommy's crazy with worries about her not eating
    So how can we make her drink her milk at least since going there and breastfeeding is not a viable option?
    I pray that this too shall pass

Default Re: How to make 13 mo take a bottle or cup or whatever?

It will be ok. Is she sleeping through the night? Lots of babies go 7 hours without eating at night. (Mine doesn't, but some must!!) She won't starve herself. Will she drink water from the straw cup while she is there?

Unfortunately you can't really make a child eat or drink... perhaps when she gets comfortable going there she will start drinking from the cup or eating solids. Can you nurse her right when you drop her off and when you pick her up? That way she will have only really missed one feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Unfortunately you can't really make a child eat or drink... perhaps when she gets comfortable going there she will start drinking from the cup or eating solids. Can you nurse her right when you drop her off and when you pick her up? That way she will have only really missed one feeding?
    she may reverse cycle and make up for it in the evenings and at night too.

since she is not interested in the sippy cup, how about a regular cup?

keep taking it one day at a time. going to a new place and starting a new routine is stressful for parents and LOs. it will get better.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

I've been in the child care industry for 15 years and I say from experience that in this case peer pressure will work wonders!

Once your LO gets comfortable and sees all the other children drinking/eating she will follow suit. She won't starve in the meantime and pps are right she may begin to nurse more in the night time. If you co-sleep and are patient it will be less stress on you.

See if there is a place where you can bf her right when you get there or do it in the car. Carve out this time to reconnect with her.

It will pass
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I have tried nursing her several times when I drop her in the mornigs but she would not even try to nurse, so I gave up on that. Now I breastfeed her righ before we leave home about half an hour before I leave her at the nursery. I also still breastfeed her when I collect her but she hardly nurses anything then. Yesterday evening I offered her some breastmilk in her straw cup she took a sip and then gave me a disgusted "no way mommy that thing ain't going down my throat " look Wow does she not like the taste of my breastmilk? Is plain water better since she loves some water in her straw cup?
    I might give a try on a regular cup though.
    I really rely on the peer pressure strategy to work wonders and luckily or the kids in her group eat solids like crazy

I think someone suggested this in your other thread Mama, but is it possible that you have excess lipase? Have you tasted the expressed milk?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I don't have any easy answers for you, but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone. My oldest son flat out refused any liquid unless it came directly from me. We tried just about every cup bottle or spoon and he would refuse it or let it run out of his mouth. But, he didn't starve, and he did finally decide one day to drink milk from a sippy cup, (around 14 months) and has done fine since then.
    If she's drinking water, then at least you know she won't get dehydrated, and hopefully she'll soon begin eating solids and accepting your milk in a cup too.
    Give yourself both time to adjust to your new routine, to you.
    Julie
    LLL Leader and Mama to three blessings Michael 10/04, Joel 6/06, and Katie 6/08. Wife to Paul.