Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought nursing babies...

Default I thought nursing babies...

didnt get sick as often. Already DD has had a cold, then another cold that lasted WEEKS. Now she has had a fever for 3 days straignt.

My DS didnt get his first illness till 9 months. He was fed pumped breastmilk due to his cleft lip and palate.

I already had DD to the Dr for each of her ilnesses, and she has been given clean bills of health, just typical colds. I didnt bring her for the fever becasue she had gotten shots and when I called the Drs they attributed the low fever to the shots. Well, yesterday the fever got to 103...and when I called they now say NOT from the shots. I will bring her in today.

I just feel like I am failing her somehow. I know its probably casue DS was an only child, and DD has a big bro, we go to kiddie places and he is in school bringing home germs.

Anyone else deal with sick baby? she is only 6 mos!
    Last edited by @llli*dara; October 19th, 2009 at 05:24 AM.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Default Re: I thought nursing babies...

My third baby was the one who put paid to my firm belief that breastfeeding would always prevent disease. He got sick starting when he was just a few weeks old, and he got his first ear infection when he was 2 months old. We've dealt with 3 severe episodes of wheezing and 5-6? ear infections since. He's 10 months old. He's got a cough right now. I'm watching that to make sure it doesn't turn into wheezing and have to break out the nebulizer.

I remind myself that he would probably be sicker if he was not breastfed. My ped reminded me of that the last time we were in for an ear infection and said I'm doing everything right. It's just the variance noted in children's immune systems.

But I'm looking for a naturopath who will see infants to see if there's anything else we can do for him. So far, though, no go.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I know how you feel mama. I, too, feel like our situation proved that fact wrong (that BF babies get sick less). My DS is 22 months and still nursing. He only had one cold his entire first year. Then, when he was 14 months we started going to a playgroup and having contact with a lot of other kids (I'm a SAHM). Right after that he got sick with a cold (this was January) and he was sick with one cold and ear infection after another for the next six months. It was awful. Then he got another random cold this summer. I'm dreading this winter.

You're not failing her mama! You are doing great. By you bfing her, you might have saved her from that cold becoming something more serious, KWIM? Like you said, with siblings, germs are coming home to your LO a lot more now. BF helps their immune system, but it doesn't make it immune ,unfortuneatly. I wish it did Hang in there mama I'm wishing you health.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

My 3 MO is sick too. DH works in a school and brought home a cold for us all to share. No fever, but he's congested and uncomfortable. DH feels terrible, but colds are contagious before symptoms show up... He always washes his hands before touching either of us.

More worrisome is the fact that the stool in his last diaper was surrounded by pink stains. Waiting for a call back from the ped. about that...
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

I don't know this, and don't have any specific evidence to back it, but I SUSPECT (seems to make sense) that a baby is still just as likely to get sick if he catches something from anyone besides his mama. What I mean is, if you as the mother get sick first, then your body builds up antibodies and passes those antibodies on to your baby. But if HE gets sick and you don't, then you don't have the antibodies to pass on to him.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I remind myself that he would probably be sicker if he was not breastfed. My ped reminded me of that the last time we were in for an ear infection and said I'm doing everything right. It's just the variance noted in children's immune systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    By you bfing her, you might have saved her from that cold becoming something more serious, KWIM? Like you said, with siblings, germs are coming home to your LO a lot more now. BF helps their immune system, but it doesn't make it immune ,unfortuneatly. I wish it did
    I wondered this too when my DD kept getting cold after cold, along with ear infections. Just imagine how much sicker they would be if you weren't BFing!! BFing doesn't make them totally immune to everything out there, but it does help them get over it faster since you as the mommy have probably made the immunities yourself and passed them to your baby through your milk.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    I wondered this too when my DD kept getting cold after cold, along with ear infections. Just imagine how much sicker they would be if you weren't BFing!! BFing doesn't make them totally immune to everything out there, but it does help them get over it faster since you as the mommy have probably made the immunities yourself and passed them to your baby through your milk.
    My LO has had a persistant cold on and off for a few weeks. My husband and I had this cold too. While my DH and I suffered fevers and were VERYsick, our LO has had it very mild with mostly just nasal congestion. I think if he was FF he'd have been a very sick baby. Hang in there mama! It sucks when baby is sick, you feel so bad for them. I hope you both feel better soon.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

...tis the season...

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    My understanding is that the second baby is exposed to something an then nurses, it's like an open system. When they nurse, they are giving it to you and your antibodies start working to give right back to them.
    well that's cool to know
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God