Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk products

Default milk products

Sorry for 2 posts in one day, but I've had this question for a while now LOL

So if I start dairy products at 9m (yogurt, cheese etc), how is that different than giving her just plain cow's milk or goat's milk (which I understand can/should be given after 1y)? My MIL asked me this question and I had no clue (she suggested giving milk to LO while she watches her b/c I have very poor pumping output). If it's got milk products in it, what's the diff?

Default Re: milk products

You should never be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to!

The processes by which milk turns into yogurt or cheese break down the proteins and sugars in the milk, making them easier to digest. That's why they are safe when the baby is under one year. Also, giving the baby milk to drink is more likely to replace a breastfeeding session than giving her some yogurt or cheese is, and you want her to maximize her breastmilk intake for as long as possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Excellent question! I had the same doubt, thanks for posting this!

OK, so does that mean that the dairy in formula is also easier to digest?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cookie View Post
    OK, so does that mean that the dairy in formula is also easier to digest?
    Here is something I had posted to a mama before with the same ?

Cow's milk is inappropriate for babies, and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that cow's milk not be used as a replacement for breast milk or formula for the first year of life. Infants fed whole cow's milk have low intakes of iron, linoleic acid and vitamin E and excessive intakes of sodium, potassium and protein. The protein molecule in cow's milk is large and can permeate the intestine of the infant undigested, causing intestinal bleeding. This intestinal bleeding may not be visible to the naked eye but would be detected on exam. This intestinal bleeding contributes to the poor iron status of the infant. The protein level in cow's milk is too high, causing stress on the kidneys as they try to dilute the nitrogenous waste products from the protein. This can lead to dehydration as the baby's body draws on water stores.

Although cow's milk protein is used in infant formula, it has been modified to make it more digestible. The amount of protein used is in smaller concentrations than in cow's milk, and more closely matches the level in breast milk.

To improve fat digestibility, to provide for essential fatty acids, and to reduce environmental contaminants, the butterfat of cow's milk is replaced with vegetable oils or a mixture of vegetables and animal fats.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

thank you ladies!