Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new/ frustrated mom

Default new/ frustrated mom

hey guys
    im a new mom to my 1 month old ladybug and god is she ever hungry, i just have a few questions and frustrations if anyone could help me out that would be wonderful.
    I started out breastfeeding her from the nipple until i started gettting chapped and painful, even with lansinoh it hurt, and having her saliva on chapped nipples burned so we switched to pumping and feeding her through the bottle which she did great.. when she was eating 2-3 oz a feeding every 2.5h. now she wants to eat 4-6 oz and im not getting enough milk for her, i pump both sides (not at the same time) for 15 min and the max i get is around 3oz unless i havent pumped for a while.., pumping will be done anywhere between 2-3h or everytime she wakes up at night (5h) now the thing that im confused about is how do you manage to have enough pumped milk to store in the freezer when i cant seem to get enough to last the day, everytime i think im one bottle ahead turns out im 2 behind and have to substitute with formula.

the other thing is eveytime after i pump my nipples are extremely itchy and especially at night painful if it hooks onto my bra.. i wear anti leak pads (the thick kinds) to provide for leak support and for comfort.

so if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated. and thank you in advance

Default Re: new/ frustrated mom

Sounds like you may be overfeeding your baby. A baby will take more breastmilk for a bottle if you let them. Are you interested in getting your baby back to the breast? This would make it so much easier on you and baby if you were able to do so, and you could probably quit supplementing with formula.

Also, it sounds like with the burning and itching that you are describing that you may have thrush.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I agree 100% with the PP. Overfeeding is VERY easy to do with a bottle, no matter what's in it. Check to make sure that when you turn a bottle upside down it drips slowly and doesn't stream out. Taking breaks can help.

What sort of pump are you using?

Also it worried me a little that you said she fed from the nipple when she was nursing. I'm hoping that's just how you said it! Babies massage the breast to stimulate a let down and then they swallow. So they really do not suck anything out, especially from the nipple! Oh my that'd hurt.

It's not too late to get back to the breast if your interested!!

Oh I just realized your in Vienna! I'm in Ashburn. I know some really awesome Leaders close to you that could help. There are also some good IBCLC's in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnyscooltes View Post
    Oh I just realized your in Vienna! I'm in Ashburn. I know some really awesome Leaders close to you that could help. There are also some good IBCLC's in your area.
    Get some hands on help mamma! Things could really turn around for you and your baby!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnyscooltes View Post
    Id love some help im so frustrated i break down and cry..
    im using a Evenflo comfort select single pump, i know its u get what u paid for when it comes to pumps but with my husband being the only one working we really couldnt afford a hospital grade pump
    and what i meant about the nipple is that she fed straight from my breast instead of breastmilk from the bottle..

i would love to have her back on the breast tbh i thought pumping would be easier especially with the agreement that my husband would feed and change her between 4am and 7am so i can get some sleep, but i mean i have to get up anyways to pump there is no point anymore.. it just hurts so much!.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mayi View Post
    Id love some help im so frustrated i break down and cry..
    im using a Evenflo comfort select single pump, i know its u get what u paid for when it comes to pumps but with my husband being the only one working we really couldnt afford a hospital grade pump
    and what i meant about the nipple is that she fed straight from my breast instead of breastmilk from the bottle..

i would love to have her back on the breast tbh i thought pumping would be easier especially with the agreement that my husband would feed and change her between 4am and 7am so i can get some sleep, but i mean i have to get up anyways to pump there is no point anymore.. it just hurts so much!.
    I'm sorry I don't have any helpful advice but I wanted you to know that I feel for you. I'm also trying to work through my pain in nursing and am crazy close to giving up totally since I can't pump either. "One feeding at a time," that's my mantra these days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*star.sapphire View Post
    I'm sorry I don't have any helpful advice but I wanted you to know that I feel for you. I'm also trying to work through my pain in nursing and am crazy close to giving up totally since I can't pump either. "One feeding at a time," that's my mantra these days.
    you know what gets me the most is that this was soo much easier with my niece not that i had to breast feed her or anything but the whole putting her to sleep and keeping her happy part, maybe its just easier when ur on the outside..

one more thing about the baby bottles. Ladybug has been feeding out of parent;s choice bpa free bottle which to me seems the hole is a bit big for a 1 month old but then a fam. friend gave me munchkin bpa free glass bottles as gift, the bottles have 2 stages stage 1 for 0-6 months and stage 2 for 6+ months and thats fine and dandy but when i try to feed her out of those she just seems to get soo frustrated with it, think it could be that she didnt have to do much with the other bottles and now has to work hard with this? and lastly if i wish to stop pumping and return to breast think if i continue using lansinoh and take a half day/ full day (i can imagine the painful breast already) break from pumping/breastfeeding the cracks will heal so that i can breastfeed her in comfort??

ok i lied last last question.. i have a pillow for placing her on it while breastfeeding but does anyone have any suggestions for someone who sleeps with one pillow for back comfort while breastfeeding?

bump.. sorry guys im still frustrated.. i sorta just dont want to do this anymore, but i feel like if i stop im being a bad mom and taking the easy way out.
    btw what would u say is a good feeding for a 1month old.. 4oz?
    Mother of the Ultracute

09-18-09

I would think that 3 ounces is a good amount for a 1 month old. My 12 month old only eats 2 ounces or so at a time from a bottle when she's at the babysitter's house.

Can you see a lactation consultant?