Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Special Needs Pump Recommendation?

Question Special Needs Pump Recommendation?

Hi Mamas! I wanted to get your suggestions for a pump for my special circumstances. Here's the scenario:

I have a second generation Pump In Style from 1999 when I had my son. I used it for only 3-4 months when I returned to work full time for a short period when he was an infant. I hadn't used it since and it appears to be in great working order. I have replaced a few key parts and am good to go when I return to work full time in another month or so and our DD goes into day care (.

When our DD was born, she tore up my nipples and since then we've had recurrent issues that are still causing me much pain (she's now 7 weeks old). In fact, I cannot use the PIS because the pump is too painful while I am healing which is inhibiting how much I can relax and release the milk, naturally. I am REALLY hoping this will not be the case when I return to work since I need to provide milk for my little one.

So, what I am looking for is a temporary pump. Something that is gentle but effective. Soft? Maybe a manual pump will be sufficient? Battery-powered if necessary? Reasonably priced?

Has anyone used a pump under these circumstances that they could recommend? If I can't pump yet then I can't build up my stash for when I return to work and that would be bad in all sorts of ways. If I don't heal fast enough or continue to have pain with the PIS, then I'd wind up using this second pump when I start working.

The other scenario that I would use the pump under is when/if I ride my motorcycle and go out for longer than a few hours, I'd want to pump while on a ride. I'd need to stash it in my saddle bags with a cooler bag to save the milk.

Sorry for the long dissertation... I just want to make sure I present all the facts.

I'd appreciate your input! Thank you.

Edit: Oh, and I am not "small" so the pump needs to be able to accomodate my girls.
    Last edited by @llli*star.sapphire; October 18th, 2009 at 07:35 PM.

Default Re: Special Needs Pump Recommendation?

Bump. Anyone have suggestions?

I talked to my LC and she recommended the Medela Harmony. I bought one to try. For a $35 investment, it was worth it. Then I went to the grocery store and saw it for $5 less. Figures.

Have you tried lowering the suction on the PIS? It's the only pump I have experience with. I also have some flanges with a soft cup. I think I got them at "breakout bras"

otherwise have you tried using Soothies while you heal? It really helped my sore nipples. The only other thing I can think of is mannual expression.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t024900.asp

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Have you tried lowering the suction on the PIS? It's the only pump I have experience with. I also have some flanges with a soft cup. I think I got them at "breakout bras"

otherwise have you tried using Soothies while you heal? It really helped my sore nipples. The only other thing I can think of is mannual expression.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t024900.asp
    I was also going to try adjusting the suction so it is comfortable for you.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Also, hand expression may make more sense while you are healing instead of another pump.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Hi Mamas - Thanks for the replies! I got the Harmony pump and got several days of "relief" pumping while my little girl nursed on the less painful side. I've been using Lansinoh religiously and my left side is slowly starting to feel better (fingers crossed to not jinx myself) by the tiniest increments.

I've now also had two successful pumpings with my regular PIS, with the suction AND speed adjusted and it was much more comfortable! As a bonus, I got more milk out than just with the Harmony.

I'm taking it one feeding/pumping at a time!

Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.