Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much milk?

Red face Too much milk?

My son is one month and I've noticed in the last couple of days that he'll latch on take a few loud gulps, but then starts coughing, almost gagging and spitting out milk. From what I read it sounds like there maybe too much milk??? I have started pumping in the last week but only once a day, in preparation for when I go back to work. When I do pump, I'm getting 10 ounces at one sitting and I only stop pumping because the bottles only hold 5 ounces, I think I could get more. If I feed him within an hour after pumping when I'm not as full, he'll latch on and stay on without any problem. One book I have says to pump 1-2 ounces before each feeding. Not only is that inconvenient, but I'm afraid if I pump more I'll continue to produce too much. I know its not the worst problem to have, but feedings are getting frustrating for both of us. Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just pump more?

Default Re: Too much milk?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelsey8881 View Post
    My son is one month and I've noticed in the last couple of days that he'll latch on take a few loud gulps, but then starts coughing, almost gagging and spitting out milk. From what I read it sounds like there maybe too much milk??? I have started pumping in the last week but only once a day, in preparation for when I go back to work. When I do pump, I'm getting 10 ounces at one sitting and I only stop pumping because the bottles only hold 5 ounces, I think I could get more. If I feed him within an hour after pumping when I'm not as full, he'll latch on and stay on without any problem. One book I have says to pump 1-2 ounces before each feeding. Not only is that inconvenient, but I'm afraid if I pump more I'll continue to produce too much. I know its not the worst problem to have, but feedings are getting frustrating for both of us. Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just pump more?
    Step away from the pump, mamma! I understand that you need to start expressing milk for when you return to work, but right now that may only make things worse. If you pump 1-2 oz. before each feeding, your breasts are going to keep making that milk plus all the milk that your baby drinks from your breasts.

Sounds like you are dealing with oversupply and overactive letdown. Oversupply can be corrected with block feeding. Block feeding is when you offer the same breast for a set amount of time before switching to the other.

When your baby is choking and gagging at the breast, that is most likely due to the overactive letdown. Something that you can do to help are: once your milk lets down let it spray into a towel and then relatch your baby, or try different nursing positions. You can recline in a chair and lay your baby belly to belly so they are sort of nursing uphill.

Hope you are able to get these things worked out. Your baby is still young, and things will get so much easier! Congrats for giving your baby the best possible start in life!

ETA: mamma! The ladies around here are amazing, so keep coming back for support!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: Too much milk?

BTDT! It's a blessing and a curse to have OS. Although I always wanted to be bigger chested, being engorged makes me rethink that! If you get engorged, just pump until you feel comfortable, but don't empty breast.

w/pp. Put down that pump! and blockfeeding really helps! The more you pump to express milk, the more your body will produce because it thinks all that is being taken by baby, so its gotta make more to meet baby's demand. It's all about supply and demand. But don't worry mama, eventually your body will adjust to what your baby needs and takes.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...