Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch - Biting Due To Stuffy Nose

Default Ouch - Biting Due To Stuffy Nose

Amy is stuffed up. We just got over one cold and now she has another. She's so stuffed up. She's having a hard time nursing because she can't breathe through her nose. So she's been clamping down on me!

I fully realize it's not her fault and that she's not doing it on purpose. Any hints on getting this cleared up? I'm starting to get really sore and there's no end to this cold in sight.

Aspirating her nose doesn't work. I dunno why. We put baby vicks on her chest every night as well as have a humidifier in her room.

Anything else?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Ouch - Biting Due To Stuffy Nose

Are you doing saline before aspirating? How about a steamy bathroom or hot shower? Those are usually the things that work for us.

Hope it gets better mama.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    Are you doing saline before aspirating? How about a steamy bathroom or hot shower? Those are usually the things that work for us.

You can also squirt breastmilk up her nose and it will clear it up.

I second the idea of a steam bathroom. Have you tried the Johnson and Johnson's vapor bath wash? It works great too.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I'll look into the Sinu-Clense / Saline idea - thanks ladies. We've got the vapo-bath going every night.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    good suggestions!

You might look into a Sinu-Cleanse saline wash for infants. It's like a baby neti-pot - well you squeeze the saline up in their noses and it flushes the nasal cavity.

Try also rubbing a little petroleum jelly in the nostrils to keep from getting too dry.

WTS...
    And, I love eucalyptus....I rub a little oil on their clothes, helps them breath...(not on their skin)
    I don't do the vicks cause it seems to harden the mucous not allowing it to loosen up for riddance...
    Last edited by @llli*airportmom; October 18th, 2009 at 11:35 AM.

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

I second the breastmilk up the nose

Hope your LO feels better soon! My LO has a bit of a runny nose now, too. Hopefully, he won't get too sick.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and