Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frequent bowel movements

Default Frequent bowel movements

My 6.5 month old has always been a frequent pooper, but it does not seem to be slowing down. If anything, it seems to be increasing. For example, thus far this morning, he had bowel movements at 1:45 a.m., 3:00 a.m., 6:00 a.m., 7:30 a.m., and 8:45 a.m. Some of these are very small, but they come with lots of grunting and pushing.

Also, his bowel movements vary in color quite a bit, but they are often more on the green side.

He is exclusively breastfed. We started some bananas a few days ago, but we haven't been able to get much down and I haven't wanted to push it too hard.

He was 16 lbs at his 6 month appointment. He has consistently been at about the 25th percentile for weight and 30th percentile for height.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the frequency of his bowel movements? I am glad that we do not struggle with constipation, but frequent bowel movements seem to come with a separate set of issues, including some diaper rash and his discomfort in frequently trying to push out a bowel movement.

Thank you.

Default Re: Frequent bowel movements

Not sure I have too much to offer, but is he also passing lots of gas, such that some poop just comes along for the ride? How big are the small ones? At the hospital I was taught that a bowel movement had to be at least as big as a quarter to "count." And how's the consistency? Lots of 's to you for all those early morning diaper changes...

Bump for someone with more ideas!

Default Re: Frequent bowel movements

My DS was like this when we started solids...
    He had lots of smaller movements - and no really big one...
    Once his tummy got adjusted to solids, he became more regular...
    I know now, he will have a BM as soon as he wakes and again about 11a...
    If he has more, it's pretty unusual.... I wouldn't worry...Sounds normal...
    Green poops can be an indicator of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or tummy adjustment.

ETA: Oh, and if you're not CD'ing...Triple Paste Ointment works really well on diaper rash...

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008