Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: any good tips

Default any good tips

for a relactating mother who cant find to pump very often? i am debating if i should continue to try since i can only pump about three times if i am luck maybe four times per day and they are mostly after eight. HELP!!! i posted something about pumping while i sleep a few places on here as well as a few other boards but havent gotten much feed back. any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks

Default Re: any good tips

Hi chases_mommy
    i'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, but it sounds like you really want to breastfeed. Are you getting any milk at the moment? Anything you can provide for Chase will be wonderful and your body should adjust to when you are able to pump. Lot's of mums only keep the morning and evening feeds and manage to still have milk at these times...
    I think you just have to do what you think is best for you and Chase
    Keep us informed about how things are going, we're all here to support you and cheer you on! (((hugs)))

well i do get some milk... but it isnt even enough to fill the nipple of a bottle... and as far as saving it and stashing it up... by the time i have a 1/4 oz the first few days worth have gone bad so i have to toss it. i wish there was a magical way i could get my supply up. my parents are going out of town this week and leaving me with four kids... most of who will be in school... so this week is PUMP WEEK FOR ME!!! i will only have chase (my little boy) and the other will be gone from nine until three thirty or four. then the younger one will take a nap until five and the two younger ones ( 1 and 4) go to bed between 7:30 and 8. then its pump time again... so at least i will have a few days to try and build dupply. i will actually only have three days like this because i go back to work after that... (my manager was nice enough to give me three days off instead of two) i hope this will build my suply.

i had a hard time pumping because it hurt so i did have to find another way. and i found hand expression sooo much easier (once you learn how to do it right)

anyway for example when i went to the bathroom while not at home, I would hand express into some Toilet paper (i could do it 1 handed) even if i couldn't save it. at least i was telling my body to make more. I also did this in the shower, or i would carry around a madela bottle and express into it, I was topless that first month and a half though, it was really easy to carry the bottle with me and just express into it. even if it was a small amount by the end of the day i could see how much i had gotten. once i was getting more i started to save it.

not sure if this is an option for you! it also eliminates the need for cleaning parts when they are not clean!

now the pump usually is the best option but this is what i did and i completely relacted with this.
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Can you freeze the teeny tiny bits of milk you're producing? At least so you know it's not being wasted - keep adding the fresh milk to the frozen. I'm sure any pumping you do will help increase the supply. If you can get your hands on domperidone it should certainly help. It's really easy to access here in NZ, but I know in other places it's not so easy to find!
    Good luck for the next few days, I'm sure all the extra pumping will help.

Smile Re: any good tips

I give my daughter (9 weeks) a pacifier. A big no-no for breastfed babies, I know... but she just loves it! I have gotten hours of sleep with its help! When I would get "droplets" after pumping I would "tap" it onto the nipple of a pacifier. Or the nipple of a bottle would work too! Then, after pumping I would squeeze out all I could, and do the same. If I wasn't going to give it to her right away, I would put the pacifier in a tupperware in the fridge. Then I would pull it out, and let it get room-temp. before I gave it to her. She LOVED it! She would smack her lips, and suck so hard that I thought she would rip off the nipple! Just be sure to wash and sterilize it before and after.
    Hope this helps!