Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping on tummy

Default sleeping on tummy

This has nothing to do with bf so i apologize for that. 5-month-old dd has been wanting to sleep on her tummy all the time this week. She will no longer have anything to do with sleeping on her back, or being awake on her back for that matter. Is this safe? I know she is still in the SIDS risk age group.

Default Re: sleeping on tummy

My daughter is also 5 months and does the same thing. Ever since she learned how to roll over I can't get her to stay on her back! My pediatrician said that once they learn how to roll over the risks of SIDS drastically drops. She has also mentioned that SIDS generally occurs when a baby has no muscle coordination and that if a baby with a lot of movement falls asleep with their face down they will unconsciously lift their heads to breath. I really wouldn't worry about it. Babies love the tummy because it helps them digest and it offers a new perspective of the world, not to mention that it is great for their upper body development.

I'm assuming that she can roll over? Once a baby can roll over the risk of SIDS is all but eliminated. I wouldn't worry about it. My DS has always been a tummy sleeper. He wouldn't sleep any other way. I kept him close to me and checked on him constantly until he was rolling. After that it was out of my hands.

FYI- there is a section on sleeping and on parenting in the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen where you can post these types of questions.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

My ds has always be a tummy sleeper. My pediatrician advised me to keep him close to me and to make sure that the surface that he was sleeping on was flat and to make sure that there were no blankets around his head. He is now 5 months old and he is just fine. There isn't much that you can do once they start rolling over. Just like us, they like to sleep a certain way, and it looks like he prefers sleeping on his belly.
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

I have read that once a baby is able to roll over that their brain is developed to the point that they can arouse themselves if any sort of breathing difficulty developes. Which is why the risk of SIDS decreases dramatically. I still have to stop my DH from running in and flipping our 6 month old over on to her back though.

IMO, I think if the mattress is firm, go for it. If a baby cannot breath, they're going to thrash, move their head, ect... it's a normal reaction. THe studies to the risk of SIDS and tummy sleeping didn't specify the condition of the sleeping enviroment, or did they? I'm not sure if there was a study on the risk of SIDS with back sleeping was there? I would not let her sleep on your mattress, a pillow, or pillow mattress on her tummy, or on a comforter, just to be safe.

Our DS has been a tummy sleeper from day 1. I would also second what pp said, and keep the surface free of clutter...ie, blankets, stuffed animals, etc. I make sure that we have the sheets pulled really tightly so that it doesn't bunch. That's about all you can do.

Good luck.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!