Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: salicylic acid and bf'ing

Question salicylic acid and bf'ing

Hi everyone,
    Not really sure where to put this question, so I'll ask it here I guess.

Likely TMI, but I have a couple flat warts on my legs. Yes, ewwww. I saw my derm and she said that freezing wouldn't really be that effective so she recommended topical salicylic acid, like Compound W. I asked if that would be OK to use while I was still bf'ing to which she replied "I don't see why not, it's just aspirin." So I figured she wouldn't be the best source of info regarding that little detail.

I've read elsewhere people discussing things like skin care/cleansers that contain salicylic acid and hearing that those are OK...but those also get washed off pretty quickly and don't contain the same amount of salicylic acid. I'm fine calling my doc and asking him (btw, do people ask the pedi or ob/gyn these types of questions??), but wondering if anyone else has experience with this? Thanks.

Default Re: salicylic acid and bf'ing

Any thoughts at all, or should I just call the dr?
    Bump!

I think Dr. Thomas Hale says it's generally compatible while BF. I think with an older infant and short duration you are probably ok but

I would call a local LLL leader and see if they can tell you. I don't always trust doctors to have their facts straight with regard to BF friendly medications. More often they err on the side of extreme caution.

Thanks, sixyearplan. Helpful as always! Btw, your previous recommendations for larger pump flanges and pumping during my long morning commute have worked out wonderfully! Thanks!

Yay! Glad it worked it!

I know you are supposed to avoid using it while pregnant, so that does make me a little suspicious...I am sure someone on here has the BF/drug book and will come along and look it up for you. If not, the LLL leader has it.

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.