Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Working mom and pumping?

Default Working mom and pumping?

At what week did you start pumping?

I want to do it before going back to work, but should I pump right after a feeding or do I wait until about 1/2 before I think the baby will wake up. My hope is that the milk I pump during the day can involve my hubby for an evening feeding.

However, will the downside of pumping be a creation of an oversupply issue?

Default Re: Working mom and pumping?

At 4 weeks after the morning feeding. If you consistantly pump at a certain time you'll create oversupply just for that time.
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!

I started pumping at day 3, but that's because I had to be apart from my LO when I was re-hospitalized....long story. BUT, I think you are very much right on track to start as early as you can before going back to work. You'll get used to pumping and you'll have some back-up supply that will ease your stress. If you have 6 or so weeks, that's great. Less is fine, too, though, so if you have less, don't fear!

My main times for building a stash were to pump 30-60 minutes before I predicted DS would get up in the morning (or, whatever was closest to that in the 6-7am time frame!) and then also about 45-60 minutes after he was down for the night -- i.e., down for a block of, say, 2-4 hours sometime starting at around 7-8pm. Both of those times seemed to work well with supply (morning better, though) and did not interfere with what J needed at his next at-the-breast session.
    good luck!
    -linda

Most mothers don't need to start pumping until a week or two before they go back to work. You'll need enough milk to provide for the first day, and to practice pumping so you know how the pump works and how your body reacts to it.

Anything you can get now can be frozen for when you go back to work.

Most mothers find that their supply is best in the morning, so try pumping then. You can pump one side while baby nurses on the other, or pump after baby is done nursing, when you're still feeling full.

If you'll vary the time during the day that you're pumping, you won't create an over-supply issue, but if you consistently pump at the same time each day, you may find yourself fuller at those times of day.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I agree with the previous post. I only started pumping at about 2 weeks before going to work. At about 3:00 am I would stop feeding my son on one breast, so in the morning, when I woke up, I would pump the milk from that breast. I would freeze it and when I went back to work I had enough for about 2 or 3 days at three feedings per day.

i'd feed dd on one breast (the rightside, easiest to get her back in the crib from this side) throughout the night and pump the other full breast in the a.m, 30-60 min before her estimated wake-up time. i'd get about 6 oz by doing this. i started this at week 6 and had a fully stocked freezer by the time i was back at work 6 weeks later. i think i pumped too much back-up to be honest. had to throw a lot out