Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby led weaning ?'s

Default Baby led weaning ?'s

Hi.....my LO is almost 5 mos (can't believe how time flies!!).....I am going to start introducing solids when he is 6 mos and have been leaning towards BLW.

Just looking to see what you think of BLW if you ues/used this.

Also, looking for resources to read up more on it - can you recommend sites or books that will be helpful?

Thanks!

Default Re: Baby led weaning ?'s

Are you in the UK? In the UK "weaning" seems to refer to the introduction of solid foods, whereas in the US it almost always refers to the process of ending the nursing relationship. Weaning in the UK = introduction of solids in the US. So, for clarification purposes for those of us on opposite sides of the Atlantic- are you interested in a baby-led approach to ending the nursing relationship, or to introducing solid foods?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi....I am interested in introducing solids

Thanks for clarifying! Around here, BLW generally = BLS (Baby-led solids).

I used a BLS approach not because I had read up on it or anticipated using it, but because my kid would NOT take food from a spoon. If the spoon approached her mouth, she would bat it away. I think there are still squash splatters on my walls! Sometimes if I gave her a spoon for each hand I could get a third spoon in her mouth. But if we put food on her tray, she would investigate it, squish it, fling it- and sometimes even eat it!

We gave DD mostly table foods- pea-sized or smaller soft bits of what we were eating. But many parents use some or all of the following oft-mentioned guidelines about introducing solids:
    - Introduce one food at a time, and then wait several days before trying another. This is supposed to make it easier to determine which food is causing an allergic reaction, should one occur.
    - Avoid certain highly allergenic foods- like citrus, eggs, peanuts or nut butters, shellfish, cows' milk- until the child is over 1 year old.
    - Start with veggies before offering fruit, so that the child doesn't get hooked on sweet tastes.
    - Children under 1 year old should not have honey due to occasional botulism contamination.
    - Children under 2 should not have nuts because they're hard to chew and are choking hazards.

We didn't pay any attention to the first 3 guidelines, but adhered strictly to the second 2.

This is a useful webpage: Is my baby ready for solid food? The signs of readiness are particularly handy- if your baby isn't sitting unassisted (for example), then there's no reason to start solids just yet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"