Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to pump?

Default When to pump?

I plan to exclusively breastfeed until about 6 weeks. Two questions for when this happens.

If I breastfeed from one breast and give a little of the right, should I pump from the right breast for the next feeding?

Default Re: When to pump?

what do you mean, "give a little of the right"? do you mean that you're not going to your baby a "full" meal? or that your baby only nurses for a few minutes???

typically, if you nurse only on side per feeding, then you should pump the other side after you nurse. for example, if you nurse your baby on the right side, after you feed her, pump the left side (some mothers can actually manage to nurse on one side and pump the other at the same time). the next time you nurse her, feed from the left side and then afterwards, pump the right side.

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I've produced the most milk by pumping on one side while nursing on the other. It's a bit of a challenge, but to me, it's worth it.

do you have any suggestions on how to nurse and pump at the same time for a 5 month/15 pound? i'm already finding that he is getting bigger/longer and would be difficult to hold with one arm.

Quote Originally Posted by ennsquared
    do you have any suggestions on how to nurse and pump at the same time for a 5 month/15 pound? i'm already finding that he is getting bigger/longer and would be difficult to hold with one arm.
    i know that there are a lot of mothers out there who pump and nurse at the same time...so maybe they'll chime in on how they do it. personally, i never tried it...i believe that when you're nursing, you should concentrate on your LO and continue to build that mother-and-baby bond...it's "you and baby" time...and also, when i'm pumping, i'm typically pumping away from my dd.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches