Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and vaccines

Question Breastfeeding and vaccines

I haven't been able to find a good answer to my question so I'm hoping some of you ladies can point me in the right direction.

Some facts:
    - My daughter is 9 months and we do not plan to give her the flu vaccine (any) this year
    - She is with me about 23.5 hours/day (ie dad watches her in the next room when I'm taking a shower or on an occasional work call) so we are always exposed to all the same people
    - She is breastfeeding

Should I get the seasonal flu or H1N1 vaccine this year? I don't generally get the vaccine but I have before with no ill effects so I'm not particularly worried about side effects for me.

However, I'm wondering if it does her more harm than good for me to get the vaccine(s). Because she is with me basically all the time, we would both be exposed to illness at the same time (of course, I don't lick the toys).

If I got vaccinated, little immunity goes to her, if any, right? So that's not helpful to her except having a healthy mommy to take care of her.

If I were vaccinated and we were exposed, she would likely get sick and I probably wouldn't. Does that mean that my immune system wouldn't give her the same support if I hadn't gotten the vaccine?

If this is the case, it seems like it would be best for me to not get the vaccine so my body would be fighting it with my daughter.

Thoughts?

Of course, I don't want either of us to get sick!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and vaccines

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/

here is dr sears page that might help

Thanks. I love that site (and book!) but it doesn't quite address my question regarding breastfeeding benefits in vaccines vs actual illness. I guess my question is pretty specific. Assuming mom and baby will always be exposed to the same illnesses and baby will not be getting the vaccine, is it better for mom to be vaccinated or not?

I don't think you would need to get it. Your breastmilk is providing lots of good protection already and the vaccine isn't 100% effective anyway. That's just my opinion.
    Also, I've HEARD that each time you get the flu vaccine, it increases your risk of developing alzheimers.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Even if you decide to get the vaccine, I wouldn't get the spray version since it contains the live virus.

I personally wouldn't get the vaccine. That's more my opinion than research (although there's PLENTY of research here on this site and around to support which ever way you decide). But I've heard that it doesn't always work, anyway. We're not big fans of vaccines around here in our house (again, JMO). I don't know that it would HURT you to get it, but not sure it's necessary and I think your BM is the best thing for your baby, either way.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I just saw some info about the alzheimers link yesterday.

Have you talked with your doctor?

I know some push the shot and then others do not thats what makes it so hard to deside what to do.

Ive had 4 babies and never had them get very sick when they were still nursing. I don't know some moms find that thier kids are sick alot.

Momma...I'm not a doc but I decided not to get the vaccine....Neither...
    I would prefer to fight off the virus with my nursling if so be it....
    And I WOH, in an international airport - I just am very cautious and always wash extremely well before handling my 2 LO's...
    There is no right or wrong....We decided to chance Vit D and washing techniques....Hoping it works for us.....

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Airportmom...what type of Vit. D supplement do you use?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!