Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nervous about starting solids

Default Nervous about starting solids

I had my first baby at the end of May, and I'm doing nothing but breast. I want it to stay that way for AT LEAST 6 months. I don't want to do store bought stuff either, like baby food and cereal. But what do I tell my doctor? And what can I start with safely? When did most of you start solids?

Default Re: Nervous about starting solids

my Ds was born in may too and our ped is pushing for solids from when he was 4!!!
    I just told her I will try to give him some fruit and then didn't!and next visit I just said I was still EBF!
    you can also try to explain your ped that you prefer to wait until you see your baby is ready
    I will start solids when I will see the sign of readyness like ability to sit on his own, and finger grasp...and at least 6 mos of age!
    for preparing yummy homemade baby food try awesomebabyfood.com it's full of good recipes!

It is recommended to wait until your baby is at least 6 months old before starting solids. You can check out this link on when and why. I started my DS when he was 6 months old on rice cereal, but I should've just went straight to fruits as rice cereal is not nutritionally necessary. You don't need to buy store bought stuff. A lot of mamas here do BLS (Baby Led Solids) where they skip purees and go straight to finger foods, letting their LOs feed themselves. Avocados, bananas, apples are good first foods for babies.

You can just tell your doctor you'd rather wait until your baby is 6 months old to start solids.

Hope this helps!
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

I'm doing nothing but breast. I want it to stay that way for AT LEAST 6 months.
    Great! And don't worry if your baby continues to be more or less exclusively breastfed for another 6 months- up to age 1, solids are not nutritionally necessary; they're just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills (says my pediatrician).

I don't want to do store bought stuff either, like baby food and cereal.
    Even better. There's no reason to use that stuff except for convenience. I personally recommend the baby-led approach to solids mentioned above- you can skip the spoon and the purrees and start with small soft pieces of foods that the baby can grasp and maneuver into her own mouth- like cooked sweet potatoes, peas, or steamed carrots.

But what do I tell my doctor?
    You can either tell the truth, or lie (lots of us do!). Whatever works for you and preserves a good relationship with the doc. I like the "She's eating a good diet, and we're working on introducing her to new foods" approach- it's non-specific and yet generally satisfies the doc.

And what can I start with safely?
    Veggies and fruits are great starter foods. Wait until age 1 for honey (due to occasional incidence of botulism in honey), and hard choke-able stuff (like nuts).

When did most of you start solids?
    Most moms start around 6 months, but some start earlier, around 4-5 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

With the previous posts.
    On a side note: I wonder why we (mothers-not speaking for all of you) feel bad about telling the truth to our pediatricians. Are we afraid of upsetting them? At my LO's 6 month check up, I told the doctor that we were going to start solids soon and she replied with "oh you haven't started yet?", and for a split second I felt bad...like I was doing something wrong. Doctors don't know everything.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I'd wait till your baby is showing all the signs, which may be at 6 mo, may be later. I like to start w/ something like banana. You can take a banana, mush up a bit on your finger and give him a taste. Chances are, he will make a funny face and maybe spit it out. And there you go! You started solids! And then you can eat the rest of the banana. There's no need to be super strict about it... you can give him a taste of something one day, then nothing for a few, then another taste later. I think sometimes we get so preoccupied with doing things "right" that once we "start" solids, there's no turning back... that we have to sit the baby in a highchair w/ a bib and start spoon feeding. You can gradually give him other things off your plate (mashed potato, bits of cooked carrots, etc) and not even bother with "baby food."

I wouldn't even worry about your Dr. You know when the right time is for your baby, so don't give it a second thought.

HTH~
    ~*~Julie~*~
    Mama to Parker (9), Bret (7), JT (2) and someone new coming mid-Oct!

I think we lie to our doctors because we don't want lectures It's sad that we have to do that though, that so many of them aren't in the ways of LLL, which is in my opinion the healthiest way. Thank you all of you for the advice, it really helps, I feel a lot better. Staying away from store bought stuff will not only save me money but be better for my baby!

My DH and I are on the same page about waiting on starting solids until at least 6 months. However, my DD is just past 5 months and in the 93rd percentile all around, she's sitting up, grasping for toys and playing with them, and doing very well all around. Recently, she's discovered napkins while we're eating. She fusses if we don't give her one. We thought it was cute because she'd play with it, but now she's basically eating it. So, because of her coordinating, we wanted her to "try" a little banana in one of those mesh teething rings. Well, we gave her one once and she was just kinda licking it. The next morning we gave it to her again she was seriously sucking the banana out of the mesh bag! Now I'm sitting back thinking, 'I was going to wait until Thanksgiving to start and now I've done it.' Huge, major guilt.

I bought rice cereal today and have no intention on starting her on it until Thanksgiving, like I said. I figure if we're ready to start her, we'll feed her frozen BM slushee to practice with the spoon maybe on the weekends. Is it OK to keep giving her banana in the mesh bag maybe 5 times a week until we "officially" start? I figure tasting a banana would be better than a napkin. Is that OK? Am I bad mommy?
    Last edited by @llli*lindsey213; October 17th, 2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: mistake
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!