Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Offer both breasts or one during a given feeding?

Default Offer both breasts or one during a given feeding?

What's the best way to do this? I'm assuming you know that baby is done feeding when the sucking has stopped. At that point do you move them to the other other breast? If not, should I pump for the the unused breasts to keep my supply up?

Default Re: Offer both breasts or one during a given feeding?

You should offer the second breast and if your LO does not take it start with that side the next time. If you are EBF you do not need to pump to keep your supply up. Your LO will let your body know how much milk needs to be produced.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Hi there

LLL says 'finish the first breast first'. Offer your baby one breast and let him stay on until (a) he comes off on his own or falls asleep; or (b) he stops actively suckling and swallowing. If he comes off on his own and doesn't seem interested, you can usually assume that he's full. If he stops actively sucking/swallowing but still acts hungry, offer him the second breast.

If your baby takes only one breast per feeding that's perfectly fine (as long as he's making wet and dirty diapers http://lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html). There is no need to pump the second side. Your body will quickly adjust!

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My son only takes one breast at a time and has almost from the start. Only occasionally do I offer the second side. Sometimes its when he seems unsatisfied, others its selfish (if both sides are particularly full), or sometimes to help fill him up before bed. His cues should help you decide what's best for your relationship.