Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this ok??

Default Is this ok??

My 6 week old is a very fussy nurser in the evenings. She wants to nurse almost constantly from 5:00 until bedtime but she never nurses for very long during these sessions. She also goes on and off the breast a lot and cries and fusses. A few days ago she was having such trouble nursing that after she fed for about 3 minutes and refused to latch on again I pumped about 1.5 oz of milk and just gave it to her in a bottle. She was like a different baby after that. She stopped fussing, fell asleep easily, and slept for her longest stretch ever (5 hrs.). I did this a few more nights all with the same result. A few days ago I stopped giving her the bottle of pumped milk and just let her nurse as she wanted. Her last few sessions were very short again but she did eventually fall asleep. However, she is back to only sleeping for 2 - 2.5 hrs before her next feed. So, my question is, how bad is it for me to give her an extra 1.5 oz of pumped milk in a bottle after she nurses for the last time in the evening? If I do this am I overfeeding her? She really seems to enjoy the extra milk as she calms down and sleeps well right after.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Is this ok??

If it is working for both of you and you are using bottle nipples that promote a breast feeding latch with a slow flow I don't see any problems continuing with it. You just want to make sure you avoid nipple confusion. The other thing you could try is letting her suck on your finger or something. DD used to do this to but it turned out she just wanted to suck as was getting upset at milk coming out. If it's working and your both happy then go with it for as long as it works. :givbes

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

is it possible you have OALD?
    my DS used to be very fussy for this at evening feedings,maybe because he was tired and didn't want to cope with fast flow.
    did you try side positioning and/or nursing in a sling?this helped me a lot.
    and don't worry you can't overfeed a BF baby!

I concurr :P If you're both happy and shes not refusing the breast at other times, then good for you and baby! And, you could overfeed a BF baby, if it's with a bottle... you could not if it were all at the breast, since the flow adjusts to the type of suck your LO is doing. Unless you had OALD (which seems to be the case), and no matter how slight the stimulation is, he'll be swamped with spraying milk! I just want to add, that if she starts fussing for longer, as in a growth spurt, try not to give the bottle, since you'd want the stimulation to be present to increase the milk production.
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

Thanks! I do have OALD and for some reason it seems to be more of a problem in the evening. I also seem to have more of a supply in the evening than any other time of day (I can typically pump about 2 oz in 3 min using a manual pump and I can't do this at any other time of the day). I think maybe she just gets frustrated with this in the evening.