Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: peanut butter

Default peanut butter

When is it ok?

Default Re: peanut butter

I think there are varying schools of thought on this. I think some people might say 1 yr, 2 yrs, or even 3 yrs. It depends on your family history of allergies too. I think we might have started Lance on peanut butter at 18 months, because although DH has Celiac, we don't have a family history of allergies, and Lance had actually been tested to rule out allergies and was negative.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

the AAP (I think it was them) put out a new release in Jan 2008 saying that delaying high allergen foods was not necessary
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

We don't have any food allergies in either of our families and Lilah's going to be one next week. I was thinking of making her a tiny pb&j sandwich, but wasn't sure about the peanut butter. I think it will be ok.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    the AAP (I think it was them) put out a new release in Jan 2008 saying that delaying high allergen foods was not necessary

But I have read that nut butters (and obviously nuts) can be a choking hazard since they are so sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post

But I have read that nut butters (and obviously nuts) can be a choking hazard since they are so sticky.
    Yes, I would spread it really thin and watch closely. Offering PB is how we figured out Roxie's allergy. She didn't eat any, but touched it and touched her face which immediately swelled up and broke out in hives.

And remember that ANY family history of allergy is passed along in genes, so just take that into account. Not to be an alarmist.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thanks Ladies! I will spread it really thin and watch her closely. She's at a babysitter's house during the week, so I do want to make sure that she's exposed to it here before she does there.