Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Less dirty diapers normal as they get older?

Default Less dirty diapers normal as they get older?

Hi all!

My four-month-old, up until this point, has been having about 6 dirty diapers a day--some of which looked like diarrhea. I've been on an elimination diet for about two weeks to figure out what he's allergic to. In the past week or so, he's been eating a lot less--12 oz. or so during the ten hours I'm away from him at work, and then very quick nursing sessions every 2-3 hours at home. He doesn't eat anything for about six hours in a row at night. He doesn't SEEM hungry. In fact, he often refuses to eat because he's got better things to do and is too distracted. He's also, in the past week, started having fewer dirty diapers. They're consistently yellow and much more concentrated (not diarrhea), but he only has one or two dirty diapers in a 24 hour period now.

I've heard that they tend to have less dirty diapers as they get older, and I THINK all of this is a sign that the elimination diet is working and he's starting to be able to absorb more nutrition from less breastmilk. However, everyone always says "count diapers." He still has plenty of wet ones--probably ten in a day. He seems happy and alert, though he has been sleeping a lot more during the day in the last couple of days.

Should I worry that he has so few diapers, or is this in fact what is supposed to happen?

Thank you!
    -Chris

Default Re: Less dirty diapers normal as they get older?

It's normal for them to have less as they get older. Some babies will go days without pooping since BM has such little waste.

I'm curious if that was the only reason you started doing elimination dieting or if there were other factors? Lots of things can cause runny poop. Is he drooling a lot due to teething? Swallowing all that extra drool could be the cause.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

It sounds fine. Some BF babies over six weeks go a week between poops. It also sounds like he is nursing efficiently and taking in a good amount of milk at DCP (the general rule of thumb is 1-1.5 oz an hour for each hour you are away).

Hi chris,

I went through the same concern when my dd was younger. She went from many, really liquid bm a day... to maybe once or twice a day, and then once she started solids she had a week or so where her bowel movements were more sporadic some days she would not have any bm and other days she would have two. At 14 mos. she she goes daily. So the decrease in output is absolutely normal.

Also, the time it takes for young babies to nurse also decreases, they become much more efficient.

Like you mentioned, as long as he is producing several wet diapers daily gaining weight, and appears to be happy and energetic then he should be fine.

kellymom.com is an excellent resource online.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    It's normal for them to have less as they get older. Some babies will go days without pooping since BM has such little waste.

I'm curious if that was the only reason you started doing elimination dieting or if there were other factors? Lots of things can cause runny poop. Is he drooling a lot due to teething? Swallowing all that extra drool could be the cause.
    Yea! Thanks for the reassurance, everyone.

He has had green, runny poop pretty much constantly since he was five weeks old. By "runny" I mean nothing but water. He was also chunking down almost 20 oz. in the 10 hours that I went to work, despite our efforts to slow him down, and then waking up to nurse every 1-2 hours and never seeming quite satisfied. Despite this, he was falling off on the growth charts--still gaining weight, but falling from the 50th%ile to the 25th%ile to the 15th%ile... He also had a rash on his face and was really croupy/refluxy. Any of these things could just be normal. But there were so many that they were driving me crazy. I decided I'd rather have a restrictive diet for a couple of weeks and gain peace of mind than worry about it forever. So, 1.5 weeks into the elimination diet, he's back up to the 25th %ile and eating less often. his poop is less watery. He's had almost no diaper rash at all, and though his skin is still rashy, it looks better. Also no croupy-sounding reflux after eating anymore.

-Chris

My DD was the same way. It turns out she does have food allergies but the only thing I eliminated before her testing positive for anything was dairy. I'm glad the ED seems to be working and your little guys is doing better. I recommend getting into an allergist for some testing so you know exactly what you have to avoid so you're not torturing yourself staying away from safe foods.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

and I'm glad you decided to stick it out! It's true that the feeding times decrease and the bm's space out, because they become more efficient at feeding and digesting all those good nutrients. Counting diapers is absolutely important for newborns, since this is the only way to know they are eating enough. As they grow older, it's still rule of thumb but you have to take into consideration the aforementioned and if when they go, it's still soft. Also, breastfed babies often fall off the charts when they start to move around more, this is especially true at 6 months. That's when the peds start getting alarmed and preaching formulas, but this is just so, since EBF babies take only what they need, and that ends up being much better absorved and burned!

On a side note, my daughter, who was EBF at 2 1/2 months, started "flipping" onto her side and then back at four months. My SIL's son was FF and got started on cereals at 2mo. By six months he had to use 12mo clothing and was overweight. He could not even turn around until he was eight months old. Just a little thought on different feeding patterns and their impact on our LO's.
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010