Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping after breastfeeding

Default Pumping after breastfeeding

My friend recommends pumping after breastfeeding, for the same amount of time the baby was on the breast. That is if I breastfeed for 20 minutes, I should then pump for 20 minutes. Doing this she says will allow me to see how much the baby is eating. I guess I could use this pumped milk for the following day or I can freeze it while on maternity leave.

I just think this may consist of a lot of pumping especially during the first few weeks.

Default Re: Pumping after breastfeeding

I'm not quite sure what your friend means by being able to know how much your LO is eating by pumping afterwards? I can almost gaurantee you won't get the same amount of milk even if you pump the same amount of time you nursed. If your LO is having several wet/poopy diapers a day and gaining weight you don't need to "double check" by pumping. Besides, you could end up with engorgement and over-supply issues if you do that.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Yeah, that is simply not good advice. To know that your baby is getting enough milk, you don't need a pump, you just need to count wet and dirty diapers.

Unless there is a clear problem with the baby's milk intake, it is best to avoid pumping for the first 2-3 weeks. That is a critical time for your body to "learn" how much milk to make and when to make it. The smoothest breastfeeding relationships tend to be those where the baby's appetite is what determines the mom's supply, not an unnecessary pumping schedule.

Later on, if you need to be away from your baby for extended periods, then you may want to express your milk for your baby to eat while you are away. You can build up a bit of a freezer stash after you have the basics of breastfeeding established, and you can pump during any separations from your baby, to prevent engorgement, protect your milk supply, and replace the EBM that your baby has eaten in your absence. But this is nothing to be concerned about in the first days and weeks with your new baby.

--Rebecca

Hi there
    I just wanted to second what Quakerm0mma said. The pump is a poor measure of how much milk you're actually making, and what your friend suggests could lead to engorgement.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!