Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: one breast not producing as much milk?

Default one breast not producing as much milk?

Hello, this is my third child and I breastfed the other two for 15 months each! My newest is 7 weeks and I thought we had a great nursing routine down. Until tonight. It was as though my left breast totally deflated! He still seems to be nursing from that side, but it is not full like the right breast! I am concerned my left breast is no longer making milk? I have not felt it "fill" up since 7pm and it is now 1am and my right breast has filled up. I did just feed him, but it is still uneven? Help!

Default Re: one breast not producing as much milk?

It's totally normal for one breast to produce more milk than the other. Can you hear your lo swallowing when they are nursing on your left breast?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    It's totally normal for one breast to produce more milk than the other. Can you hear your lo swallowing when they are nursing on your left breast?
    As long as you hear swallowing, it's okay. And it's okay to feel deflated- after a certain period of time it's normal for your supply to even out so you make just enough, without a lot of excess to give you that "full" feeling (and put you at greater risk for plugged ducts and mastitis).

You might want to try starting all feedings on the deflated side- that will help it produce more and will even out the supply between the two breasts, preventing lopsidedness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    As long as you hear swallowing, it's okay. And it's okay to feel deflated- after a certain period of time it's normal for your supply to even out so you make just enough, without a lot of excess to give you that "full" feeling (and put you at greater risk for plugged ducts and mastitis).

You might want to try starting all feedings on the deflated side- that will help it produce more and will even out the supply between the two breasts, preventing lopsidedness.

I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Yep, my right breast is the preferred breast and the workhorse. To keep from getting too lopsided I try starting out on my left side more often.
    I did this also.
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

Thank you so much for all the replies. I don't remember one side being two to three sizes bigger then the other with my other two children. So when it happened last nihgt I freaked I feel so much better today! We have started all feedings on the left side and he has not been extra fussy, so my guess is he is getting enough to eat

Maybe your new baby has a breast preference, and that's why you're getting lopsided? Some babies really do have a favorite side, and they feed more intensively on that side; the less-favored side receives less stimulation and therefore winds up producing less.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I with mommal. My DS had a very mild case of torticollis (which we're still going to PT for) which made nursing on the left harder for both of us. He had a hard time with positioning, and it became uncomfortable for me. Since he's been getting more flexible and stronger, though, he's been able to feed better on the left and my girls have evened out--so increasing stimulation does work!

My left has always made more than my right. I used to try and nurse more on the right for the extra stimulation to try and "even them out" until breastfeeding friends told me it was extremely common to make more on one side then the other. I don't worry about it anymore, and I always have enough.

-Lisa
    Nursing DS since 12/07. Always voraciously on all mothering-related topics. Switched to cloth when DS was 13 months, and haven't looked back.