Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i have a friend.

Default i have a friend.

who is breastfeeding.. and she had her baby in the same month i did and she's had matisis 4-5 times since she's started to breastfeed. the baby is 5 months old.. seems once a month she can get it.

is there any advice i can give to her to help her stop getting matisis every single month??

i think she's thinking on starting to bottle feed (idk if she's going to swtich over or not)...

Default Re: i have a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Taking lecithin as a supplement daily is said to lessen clogged ducts, which lead to mastitis. You can find more info on it at www.kellymom.com
    this is what I was going to recommend also.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Here are some things which may help:
    - Soy lecithin
    - Vary nursing position, try to get baby to nurse with chin pointed in different directions, try all-fours nursing (baby on back, mom dangling breast into baby's mouth from above)
    - Nurse on affected breast first when she starts to see signs of mastitis, to ensure maximum drainage
    - Pump- if baby can't drain affected breast for some reason, use a pump to do so before mastitis can take hold
    - If there is an underlying problem that's contributing to the mastitis, like oversupply or a poor latch, see a LC and get that fixed
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Advise her to try a different bra. I have heard that underwire especially can contribute to clogged ducts and thus mastitis. Other than underwire, if she is wearing overly restrictive bras, like excercize bras, or if they are simply too tight for whatever reason, that could cause the problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladydilee View Post
    Advise her to try a different bra. I have heard that underwire especially can contribute to clogged ducts and thus mastitis. Other than underwire, if she is wearing overly restrictive bras, like excercize bras, or if they are simply too tight for whatever reason, that could cause the problem as well.
    Also it might also help to sleep without a bra..I would just stuff a towel on the side I wasn't nursing on incase of leakage.

**Tricia**
    Married to DH since July '07
    Mommy to Logan born 09/10/08

My friend got mastitis a bunch and then found out it was because she was nearly anemic. She didn't register as anemic, but her iron count was on the low side. She started taking an iron supplement and stopped getting mastitis.