Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting started with 5 week old

Unhappy Getting started with 5 week old

Hi ladies!

Well I'm so disappointed in myself. My DS is now 4.5 weeks old. I started out great in the hospital but by day two his latch wasn't very good and both breasts were sore and bleeding. So I ended up giving formula. I did some pumping but not on any routine. My MIL is in town with us and will be for another two weeks and SHE is very uncomfortable with breastfeeding and it intimidated me so I gave into her proding and pressure to bottle feed.

Last night DS had a spit up during the night that soaked my nightgown so I took it off and held him against my skin. He inched his way down and found my breast so I helped him just latch on. I think I got it right because I had no pain what so ever and he was sucking pretty good.

I really want to try and get back to BF him again, at least half and half. Since I'm not that far away from the birth I still have milk when I manually express and when he cries sometimes I leak. I also know how to increase my supply by pumping, taking herbs etc.

Do you think that putting him on the breast at night will help get us back on track? He's mostly sleeping at one of my feeds (the late night 10:45 feed) and I could probably coax him into suckling at the breast to stimulate them. During the day is my challenge. Like I said my MIL is very anti-BF and I really don't want to change her opinion or press the issue, especially since she will be gone soon.

What can I do in the mean time? I think I can sneak away during his naps to pump for 10-15 minutes but I have a 3 year old too and my MIL is less interested in interacting with her then the baby (sad I know).

Once she is gone I plan on just doing tons of skin to skin, plenty of nursing and letting him suckle etc as well as pumping but right now I don't want to lose my hormones and ability to try and relactate as much as possible.

Help!

Default Re: Getting started with 5 week old

I'm with pp on this one. You should ge started right now, because you're fortunate enough that your LO is still latching! I understand you may not want to create any drama with the MIL, but you might end up resenting her in the long run if things do not work out. Furthermore, you don't have to change the way she sees things, you can just agree to disagree. Understand that as much as you don't want to stir thing s up w/ her, she has no right to coerce you into something you don't particularly agree. You are the parent, and you know this is best for baby, no matter if she wants to spend time with the baby. Now, this is going to be hard work, but it seems you are willing to do it and know how to do so Like pp said, try to get a SNS to supplement but keep the stimulation at your breasts. And try to read this on weaning from formula supplements, so it can be done effectively and with baby's health in mind.
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

with pp. That's great that your LO latched on! It's certainly not too late to bf. Keep offering the breast and pump as often as you can. Your MIL will have to suck up her feelings about bfing and let you feed your baby the way YOU want to. There shouldn't be any need to sneak away.

You can do it! Keep coming back here for support.

I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Don't be disappointed for how others make you feel! It's a good sign if your LO is trying to latch on. Don't let family members pressure you. Do what YOU want to do and what is best for baby. The benefits of bfing are HUGE (and easier on baby's tummy). You don't want to regret this decision later on when your LO prefers the bottle. I know they probably want to bond w/ baby by feeding him, but bfing outweighs that bond!
    My "excuse" to my family members (especially grandma-in-law) who aren't comfortable w/bfing was, "She REFUSES to take a bottle!" It was the truth, she did take it 1 wk then all of a sudden wanted NOTHING to do w/it! But after that I really didn't insist too much either, but they don't know that. I noticed that it got them to stop insisting!
    They kept pressuring me to give dd rice cereal @ 2 months so that she could sleep longer & I could go out to do stuff w/out having to bf every 2 hrs, etc! I thought to myself, "It bothers them as if they're going through it!" I told them, "yup, I tried it, didn't make a difference & turns out she's allergic!" NOT true, but it made stop insisting I was trying to keep things civil w/out anyone holding any grudges...it worked
    If you want to start bfing, then go for it! I wish you success
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Thumbs up Re: Getting started with 5 week old

Good News!

I did talk to MIL and she will support me. For now I'm offering the breast after each bottle and he will suckle on each one for at least 10 minutes each. I know he's not getting anything but I'd rather he suck on me than some pacifier. I don't offer it just yet before the bottle, he's just WAY too hungry and angry. But after he's satisfied I let him suckle and it works for us both.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO thrilled with his willingness to BF. He is an easy baby so I'm going to take full advantage of this! So far today we had 5 "nursing" sessions and he was so calm during each and latched on. My left breast is a bit sore, probably didn't get a good latch this last time, he had the hiccups and kept pulling off an on as the hiccups were bothering him. Each time he would suckle I did breast compression to try and give him the few drops I had.

I noticed that since I did this when I pump (immediately after our nursing session) I'm getting more and more drops.

I did meet with an IC who gave me great information on herbs and a pumping routine. She really encouraged getting him to the breast as much as I could, and pumping 8-10 times a day and getting lots of skin to skin.

So needless to say I'm spending alot of time in his room, nursing and pumping! My preschooler doesn't mind, she just brings toys into his room and plays while I pump and nurse. We even let her teddy bear get a pumping too! It was wicked cute!

Now that he's "nursing" I know for sure this is what I want, it is SOOOOO satisfying. Even though I don't have more than just drops right now I know I'll get there eventually and with his willingness to latch on it will help alot! I'm planning on making another appointment with the IC to work on latching properly too.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and support. I'm going to find a local LLL group here for more support.

I'm glad things are turning around for you!
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

I'm so excited for you! I'm glad you spoke to your MIL about this being important to you. You are doing a great job and will continue to make progress. You're awesome mama!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

Okay even better news! I've been offering the breast as much as I can. For a few feedings I was able to get him to latch and drink from both breasts BEFORE he ate from the bottle. After a while he starts to fuss and get frustrated but up until that point I can hear and see him drinking (the pause in the chin and sound of liquid).

I offer both breasts to pacify him right before nap and bedtimes too. He is just so content to lay there an suck. It is way too cute that when I get him into the BF position (using cross cradle right now) he will lay there and root and open his mouth like a bird waiting! This makes me happy beyond belief!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also today, for the first time since the day he was born, as I just finished letting him 'nurse' before his bottle I was holding up at my shoulder. He started to wiggle and wiggle his way down to my chest and move himself sideways and latched on through my shirt! It is like he's got his natural instinct back!

I'm not even sure if this is possible but my MIL and both noticed that he HATES his paci now!!!!!!!!! He will NOT suck on it at ALL. He is even not too keen on the bottle either but yet so content and relaxed to just suckle on me! This is a great thing and a bad thing in that I have like only drops for milk. I don't even pump 1 oz a day yet but it is getting better. I pump after each nursing session I have about 8-10 times per day for 10 minutes, that is in addition to his 10 minutes per breast. The drops are coming out pretty good and I'm feeling more full everyday and I now have a spray from both breasts for just a few seconds with compression when I pump.

But what makes me nervous is that he might like the breast so much and not take the bottle (like the paci) and I won't have enough for him at all. I can't blame the guy, why settle for a cold plastic nipple when you can get the warm and soft mommy cuddling you! Is it possible for a baby to refuse a bottle and only want breast, even after the fact that bottle is all he's known? I swear he is born to breastfeed!

We need to work on latch though. I'm having to pull his chin down before I put the nipple in and his mouth is so small. He doesn't mind all the repositioning as long as he's not raging hungry. I will call the LC hotline at the hospital tomorrow and see if I can't get an appointment to work on that. I also found the hospital has a BF mommy's group so I'll find out the schedule and try to go to a few of them while MIL is here to watch my older DD.

Anyway, I'm SUPER excited and so thrilled that he is loving to BF! It feels so amazing!

I also love happy stories! I, too, suggest a SNS, or feeding tube as it is also known. It will stimulate you even more and you will have a happier baby. It would be better for you and baby if don't judge your supply entirely on your pumping output as baby is more efficient at removing milk from the breast than the pump. This means that you start considering the feedings, feedings and not limit the time baby spends at the breast because you think it's not enough. The SNS will help you with this, and trust me when baby is not getting what he wants he will let you know. Oh! And baby doesn't need the same quantity of breastmilk as formula, since the bm is specially designed by nature to meet your baby's needs Some one-year-olds are content with 3-4 oz. Ditch the paci! It's better fpr your supply, anyway, if he does all his comfort sucking at the breast.
    Last edited by @llli*baby.mum; October 21st, 2009 at 08:49 AM.
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

Good to here that! How exciting!
    My dd took a bottle and paci, when she was 4 wks old for one week, then wanted NOTHING to do with them and still doesn't. She's 5 months old now and only wants the breast. So, yes it is possible that your LO may not want a bottle/paci again. All babies are different. Maybe your LO will like both
    Just make sure that you eat healthy and plenty (for bfing), drink lots of water, reduce stress, get sleep, keep baby @ breast, and pump in order to keep up your milk supply.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13