Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP!!! Plugged duct??

Default HELP!!! Plugged duct??

Lately LO wakes twice to feed. Around 12 and 4, well last night he only woke up once at 2am

But here's my problem...I woke him up at 6 to get ready for day care and he only latched for 5 minutes on one side, and wouldn't touch the other one.

When I got to work I pumped, but I still felt full on my left side. Now it's excruciatingly hard in a wedged shaped lump. I've tried pumping my heart out and I can't get it comfy Letdown is aweful!!!

I'm leaving early to pick him up and I'll probably cry if he's not hungry. Does this sound like a plugged duct? Will him nursing clear it up fast?? Any other remedies?? I've never had it this bad before

Jessica - Loving Mom to Corbin. Proud to be and and since April 25, 2009.

Default Re: HELP!!! Plugged duct??

Yup, sounds like a plugged duct. bfing would REALLY help. If you can, soak breast in warm water/warm compress or take a warm/hot shower then bf. Try to manually express if LO isn't hungry, so that you don't stimulate your body to make MORE milk (in this case) by pumping. Or start off pumping a little bit to get milk flowing then manually express.It will feel uncomfortable, but it helps. It's really hard to pump and actually get relief the times I've had a plugged duct. I took Tylenol which helped with the discomfort from the engorgement for the first 24 hrs. When you bf your LO, try to do it with him under you, or you hoovering over him. This uses gravity in your favor. For example, when I'm NAK while seated, I have to lean over dd to reach keyboard, so breast "hangs" over her.
    I hope you feel better
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; October 15th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    If you can, soak breast in warm water/warm compress or take a warm/hot shower then bf.
    I would always have great success with taking a hot shower and bf DD while gently massaging the duct.

Good luck!
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

Use lots of heat and massage mamma!

It always helped me to take a shower as hot as I could possibly stand it and let the water hit my breat and massage where the clog is. You could also use a warm compress before nursing. Varying your nursing positions will help as well. :gvbies

Here is some great information about plugged ducts.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Soooo much better today. Yesterday when I picked him up from day care he wasn't hungry But I walked him to the park and he latched for a few minutes, then I pumped, then when we got home he nursed, went to bed, then I woke him up before I went to bed, and it's nice and soft now

It just feels like someone punched me in my boob

Jessica - Loving Mom to Corbin. Proud to be and and since April 25, 2009.

I'm glad you're doing better. It will be sore for a day or two, but not like when it's plugged The good thing is that now you can tell when your engorgement is headed towards a plugged duct, so you can express/pump before it gets to that
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...