Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Q: when do you stop giving milk first?

Default Q: when do you stop giving milk first?

or should i never stop nursing before solids..? dd is almost a year now, so i was wondering if at some point i'm supposed to concentrate more on the solids and less on filling up with milk first...? TIA!
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Default Re: Q: when do you stop giving milk first?

I stopped offering to nurse before solids when he kept refusing that session consistently. He dropped the pre-lunch session on his own first, probably around 12 months old. Then he dropped the pre-dinner session on his own a few months later.

If you are willing to continue, and your LO still seems to be getting in really good nursing sessions before meals, I would probably continue that. At 12 months she is just now transitioning from milk being the majority of her diet to needing solids more and more. So it's okay if she's still nursing a lot now, from a nutrition standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I think at a year it's best to look at overall amount of nursing you are doing as opposed to when.

As long as the baby is nursing at least 3-4 times a day, my understanding is that her dairy needs are being met. More nursing and more milk is better, of course! So if your baby is more like mine was, nursing 6-8 times a day or even more frequently, that's a good thing.

Don't feel like you need to feed your child X amount of solids- at 1 year old they can still be a pretty minor part of a baby's diet, with many babies still mostly breastfed well into their second year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks, ladies! i just love these boards - so full of mamas that are oh so helpful and willing to offer advice!

right now we're still nursing like champs, 7-8 times a day and usually a couple times at night, too

the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling