Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is rice cereal considered a "solid"?

Default Is rice cereal considered a "solid"?

I'm a first-time mom so am very new at all of this. I breastfeed my little girl, but have had to start supplementing 1oz of formula with each bottle because I'm not producing enough to keep up with her (although I'm working on increasing my milk supply after some suggestions from a friend).

My little girl is 4 mos 1 week old and we started giving her rice cereal. She is actually doing quite well with it. It is supplemented with my breastmilk, not in place of. (I breastfeed first and then we have some cereal). However, should I be doing this???

Default Re: Is rice cereal considered a "solid"?

Yes it is considered a solid. La Leche League recommends that the following as signs of readiness for solids:

* he is about six months old
    * he can sit up without any support
    * he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    * he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    * he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

If you are having supply issues I would suggest you hold off on the cereal until you get that resolved. Nursing before giving solids is the right thing to do, but the cereal in her belly may keep her full longer and therefore she would not be nursing as often as she would otherwise. The current AAP recomendation is to exclusively breastfeed until at least 6 months old.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Just curious, what makes you think you're not producing enough?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Just curious, what makes you think you're not producing enough?
    yeah, that

Anything that isn't breastmilk or formula is a solid. I'd definitely wait on the cereal- other than the vitamins and minerals it's fortified with, cereal is just empty starch. It lacks the healthy fats, proteins, and sugars that breastmilk (or, to a lesser extent) formula supplies- the things that are necessary for healthy growth. If you absolutely need to supplement, IMHO formula is a better choice than cereal.

Can you tell us why you think your supply is low, and what you're doing to correct it? A lot of us have had a lot of experience with low supply, so maybe we can help!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"