Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8mo, should I introduce a sippy?

Default 8mo, should I introduce a sippy?

I've given Brody a sippy on a couple occasions when he first began solids (about 6 weeks ago), but he hasn't had one since then. It's just because I usually nurse him either just prior to feeding him, or just after (I know you're supposed to nurse first, but he really isn't liking solids very much anyways, so I don't think I'm running the risk of him not wanting to nurse).
    Would you ladies recommend giving one with every meal? Once a day? I want him to be able to drink from a cup because he will NOT take a bottle, and I need to get out sometimes. I've suddenly started worrying that he's "old" for not drinking from a cup. I think with Liam I at least offered once a day, at this age.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: 8mo, should I introduce a sippy?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*punky View Post
    I've given Brody a sippy on a couple occasions when he first began solids (about 6 weeks ago), but he hasn't had one since then. It's just because I usually nurse him either just prior to feeding him, or just after (I know you're supposed to nurse first, but he really isn't liking solids very much anyways, so I don't think I'm running the risk of him not wanting to nurse).
    Would you ladies recommend giving one with every meal? Once a day? I want him to be able to drink from a cup because he will NOT take a bottle, and I need to get out sometimes. I've suddenly started worrying that he's "old" for not drinking from a cup. I think with Liam I at least offered once a day, at this age.
    Try offering one with water after he nurses, or maybe when he's having his solids. Maybe even try sneaking him out, and having your DH or SO offer him one. He may be more likely to take to it if you're not around.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: 8mo, should I introduce a sippy?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Try offering one with water after he nurses, or maybe when he's having his solids. Maybe even try sneaking him out, and having your DH or SO offer him one. He may be more likely to take to it if you're not around.

I kept one that was filled with water just sitting around the house. I would put it on the floor with us when we were playing just to get him used to the idea of it. He really didn't like it at first, so I didn't want to push the issue. I just wanted him to be able to experiment with it on his own. I think now would be a great time to let him see what it's all about.

One thing that my son loved was for me to put a couple of ice cubes in his sippy cups. He would shake it around and it would make lots of noise and eventually they would melt and he could have a couple sips of water.