Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: your let down?

Angry your let down?

For EP, how long does your let down take?

Sometimes I sit at each breast for 10-15 before it will even let a drop go.

I am using a medela symphony, but currently doing one breast at a time until I over this mastitis. I have to use the pump on much lower settings for the affected breast for the next few days. Doc said I was pumping too hard which caused mastitis in the first place, probably tore breast tissue.

It just takes soooo much time to pump right now.
    Love to , Full time , Want to

Default Re: your let down?

How old is your baby?

16 days

why are you EP, mama? Not because of mastitis I hope. The best solution to mastitis is nursing a lot.

Are you working with an LC. You are in a prime window to get latch corrected if that is an issue.

I am EP b/c baby has a bad latch. He has a tiny mouth and I have a giant breast that does not fit into his mouth. He basically bites my nipple when you put it into his mouth and it made me cry, so we started pumping. I met with 2 lc's in the hospital and a pp doula when we got home but now he refuses to latch and wants his bottle. He us very impatient. I do have a board cert. lc coming for a home visit tomorrow afternoon to try and help.

The mastitis is so much better today than yesterday. Lots of hot compresses and pumping to try and drain the breast. It it so difficult to tell when it it drained though.

That's great that you are meeting with an IBCLC. you can get your baby back to the breast, mama.

I'm thinking perhaps it is taking you longer to get a let down due to a clogged duct that caused the mastitis. Is it taking a long time on both sides?

I don't EP, bit when I pump I usually get a letdown in 1-2 minutes.

Have your IBCLC look at your breast shields and see if they are the right size. A tight fitting shield inhibits flow of milk. If you have very large breasts/nipple/areola, a 24mm isn't going to cut it. I had to bump up to 30mm.

If you have a minute, take a peek at the latching tips and videos at www.drjacknewman.com

Try keeping your baby skin to skin as much as possible with him near your breasts so he can smell the milk and have a positive association with the breast.

I would also recommend discontinuing use of a pacifier if he has one and isn't too distressed without it.

I know you weren't asking about how to get baby back to the breast, but I can't help myself.

I have the medela 36mm shields and pumpin pals large (xlarge in the mail though).

really hoping to get him back on the breast so i can get some sleep though.

Yes it takes just as long on both sides to let down
    Last edited by @llli*maddoxs-mommy; October 14th, 2009 at 08:59 PM.

Try thinking of your son, and hold him or visualize holding him and stroking him. The problem often is that that it takes oxytocin, the love hormone, to illicit a letdown and the pump doesn't give that loving feeling. Maybe also try relaxing and drinking a cup of raspberry leaf tea (which I read helps with let down).