Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 oz short every day now

Default 3 oz short every day now

My LO is 4 months old, and I've been back to work and pumping away for 2 months now. I get 3 15 minute sessions per day. I am doing compressions during pumping. For the first 5,6 weeks, we were very well matched--whatever he went through would be the volume that I brought home that day, or I'd even produce a little more. But for the last 2 or 3 weeks, he's been catching up to me! My freezer stash is just about gone. It now seems that he needs 3 more oz ever day than what I've been providing.

Last week I did do one 3 am pumping when I was going to be away from him for 14 hours the next day(and he would've gone hungry). Today, I did pump on the way to work, but just managed to pump the usual total volume for the day. (Just pumped less in that first session)

Should I try doing the "on the way to work" pumping session every day? If so, how long before I may see an increase in my total daily volume? I am eating a bowl of oatmeal everyday. I also made the lactation bars-yum.

If it may take just a few days to catch up, that's fine. I don't want to introduce fenugreek, or teas and up the supply too much. I battled with OALD in the beginning, and it still causes issues sometimes.

Default Re: 3 oz short every day now

How many oz his he taking a day? I'd say at least a few days to a week or so to notice a change.
    Have you checked your pump parts to make sure everything is working well?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnyscooltes View Post
    How many oz his he taking a day? I'd say at least a few days to a week or so to notice a change.
    Have you checked your pump parts to make sure everything is working well?
    with everything from pp.
    I also wanted to ask if AF has returned for you? A lot of women notice a dip in their supply when their cycle returns.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

No AF yet. Pump seems to be working ok. I didn't want to mention this, but... for the approximately 10 hours I'm away, I'm bringing home 15 oz. He's eating between 16-18 oz. I know, more than he should be. But it's better than when Daddy was feeding him 22 oz!!1 Daddy insists he's hungry, he's not going to watch him starve every day, blah blah blah. So he's not budging--I just have to up my supply to match Piglet!

This is an ongoing argmunent with DH and me. It's starting to really cause a lot of stress between us. The latest development is that when he goes for his 4 month checkup next week, DH is going to ask about starting solids. I don't want to do this til 6 months, but everyone(DH, mom, grandma) thinks I'm starving him. Especially with his dairy and/or soy and/or egg allergy, we need to wait. I hope my pede is aware of the current recommendations.

Sorry you're dealing with such a stressful situation! It's hard when you and your spouse don't agree on things having to do with raising your child. I hope you are able to work out the solids issue. I'm not sure why folks think that babies are starving when they are gaining weight appropriately, etc.

I have a friend that is giving her son 18 ounces a day while she is away from him for 9 hours. I thought that seemed like way too much, but I understand that every baby is different. She managed the deficit by pumping on the weekends. Can you pump on the weekends? If you pump at the same time as your first workday pumping, it may even bring up your supply on the workdays as well - because now you're definitely pumping more than baby eats, because you're nursing him all day and then taking additional milk out that he doesn't need.

Maybe you can offer to back off on the milk issue - letting it go as high as 18 oz a day if your husband will back off on the solids issue? Would he be willing to make that compromise?

A general rule of thumb is that your baby should be taking in an ounce to an ounce and a half per hour while you are away. Here is a really cool milk calculator.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

My daughter is also 4 months old and I have been back to work for a month. Usually I can pump the exact amout she drinks while I am gone. But on some days, she drinks twice as much. I am taking Fenugreek, but I don't really see any results- maybe its because I am taking it alone and not with anything else. Anyway, I too have used all but 1 bag from the freezer. She sleeps through the night so I have started waking up in the middle of the night to pump- especially on the weekends when I know I can sleep in! Some nights I am way too tired to get up so I know she gets a FULL feeding at 6am!
    So I know how you feel. I had some freak out moments when I thought I was going to have to buy formula, but I calmed down and we are back to normal. Hopefully I can keep up...