Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and THEN feeding baby--not a good idea, right?

Default Pumping and THEN feeding baby--not a good idea, right?

One last question--I promise!

My four-month-old is still not super predictable in his eating or sleeping patterns. During the day, he usually eats about every two hours. At night, he sometimes wakes and wants to eat (though he usually falls asleep as soon as I put him on the breast, so what he REALLY wants is probably comfort nursing). When I'm with him, he eats exclusively from the breast. When I'm at work, he gets a bottle. I'm working on increasing my supply at least a little bit, because right now I'm barely keeping up with him (I have to pump five times to equal three of his feedings, and I have to pump at night to get the amount of milk that he eats in a day).

On weekends when I'm home with him, and during the night, he often wants to eat right after I've pumped. I try my best to avoid this, but it's often inevitable. (Try staying up for three hours at night because he keeps waking and wanting to eat and dozing right off, then waking again as soon as you try to get up to pump--it's no fun.)

I know the baby empties the breast more effectively than the pump, but the pump does a pretty good job, it seems. If I have to feed him any time within about an hour to an hour and a half after I've pumped (sometimes even two hours), he twists and fidgets and whines because he's not getting much milk at all. (I can feel my let-downs, and know that it's not happening soon after I pump. Also, his tongue isn't milky at all, even after hours of these nursing sessions.)

When I pump right after I feed him, I get virtually no milk--about 1/2 oz total--which doesn't so much work for putting more milk in the fridge or freezer, so this isn't the best plan.

Like I said, I'm trying to build my supply and my currently pathetic freezer stash. I want to pump as much as I can in order to do this. BUT I don't want to starve my baby. How do I balance these two things? Can I pump even if it's not right after he's eaten, without worrying about starving him? How many times a day is it normal to pump if you're also feeding the baby for every feeding, and how much should I worry when he seems unsatisfied?

Thank you!
    -Chris

Default Re: Pumping and THEN feeding baby--not a good idea, right?

Ask as many questions as you need

I have a few for you!

How much are you sending to childcare?
    How long are you away from him?

I ask because he might be getting fed too much when he's there.

Another question.

Can you pump while you're nursing - on opposite sides?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I have pumped before feeding and have never had a problem. If it really frustrates your little one then it might be better to pump the opposite side while he eats.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    Ask as many questions as you need

I have a few for you!

How much are you sending to childcare?
    How long are you away from him?

I ask because he might be getting fed too much when he's there.

Another question.

Can you pump while you're nursing - on opposite sides?
    Thanks! Let's see:

His aunt keeps him, and is very flexible. He takes anywhere between ten and eighteen ounces during the approximately ten hours that she keeps him. I know eighteen sounds like a lot, but he goes all night, from about nine to five, eating virtually nothing, so I'm not too worried that she's overfeeding him. He's a little thing still (25%ile in weight), and she gives him an ounce or so at a time and makes him really work for it.

I haven't figured out how to pump while nursing yet. DS isn't a fan of the football hold, and in any other position the pump gets in the way of where he needs to be. Maybe when he's old enough to sit up? What do people who pump while nursing usually do?

A few times I've also pumped one side before nursing him. He's eaten the whole side that was left and still wanted more, then started on the side I just pumped and gotten really frustrated. (Sometimes, though, he IS satisfied with one side.)

When he wakes at night, I can usually get him to comfort nurse back to sleep even if there's not much milk.

I'm not so much afraid of him getting frustrated as I am afraid of him going hungry if I feed him after I pump too often. Is there any possibility of this? How long does it take for my milk supply to replinish itself enough for a decent-sized feeding? One hour? Two? Less?

Thank you!
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*christybelle View Post
    I'm not so much afraid of him getting frustrated as I am afraid of him going hungry if I feed him after I pump too often. Is there any possibility of this? How long does it take for my milk supply to replinish itself enough for a decent-sized feeding? One hour? Two? Less?
    Your body is always making milk, and there is always milk there for your lo. The flow may be much slower if you just pumped, but there is milk to be had.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

My baby has a harder time if I just pumped and doesn't get as much but I have also been told by one LC that there is always some milk there and if you nurse right after pumping they just get good hindmilk.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    My baby has a harder time if I just pumped and doesn't get as much but I have also been told by one LC that there is always some milk there and if you nurse right after pumping they just get good hindmilk.
    Exactly.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!