Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: advice on expressing and getting let down!

Default advice on expressing and getting let down!

Hi, My little monkey (11 months) is still on his nursing strike, it's been almost two weeks now ). I have never been any good at expressing and am having trouble with getting my let down. I can pretty much do it when my little one is with me ( I sniff him!) but that's not always a guarantee.

I am looking into getting an electric pump, but in the mean time, is there any tricks anyone can help me with? I have the avent isis hand pump.

also, how much is a good amount to get out at this stage? on a good day I can get 4fl ozs and on a bad, less than one! I really want to keep giving him my milk until he decides to give up the fight and it breaks my heart when he gets a small amount!

thanks.

Default Re: advice on expressing and getting let down!

I have a double electric so I really can't offer advice on hand pumps. What works sometimes for me is distraction--try not to think about the task at hand and focus, I mean really focus, on other things--read a book, read the posts here (which is generally what I do while pumping!) smell your lo's blankie. Something to take your mind off what you are doing and focusing so much on whether you are getting milk or not.

I hope someone who is more familiar with hand pumps will chime in. And really, good luck to you on overcoming the strike!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes