Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Root beer to increase supply?

Default Root beer to increase supply?

I was told at my hospital that drinking root beer can increase milk supply. Is this true, and if so how much root beer needs to be consumed? I've tried red raspberry tea before, and had to drink at least 5 cups of it a day, and didn't have much success with it. Root beer is more affordable, but less healthy, so I'm wondering if it is worth trying or not.

Thanks for your input!

Default Re: Root beer to increase supply?

I have never heard of root beer helping to increase supply. I have heard people suggest beer, but as I understand it, you can get the same benefit without the alcohol by taking brewers yeast (aka nutritional yeast). I wouldn't think root beer would be much help, as it usually contains onlt sugar, water, carbonation, and artficial flavors.

[quote=jymarino]I was told at my hospital that drinking root beer can increase milk supply. Is this true, and if so how much root beer needs to be consumed? <

Whenever I hear unusual information like this, I find it helpful to ask for the references. You might want to do that too

LLLnormaR

Just to add to the conversation -- (I've never heard of root beer to increase milk supply either)

Milk supply depends on removal of milk from the breast. If you want to use a galactagogue (not an approved LLL source) to increase your milk supply it will be most effective when combined with frequent removal of milk from the breast. Most mother's do not need a galactogogue and nearly all can effectively increase their milk supply by simply emptying the breast frequently. Of course, you'd like your baby to be doing this for you but a pump can be a good stand-in too

I was wondering...
    Is there any special reason why you are looking into this?
    What leads you to believe that you NEED to increase your supply?

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

nodding

The person that told you this was apparently misinformed! I don't think root beer would increase supply, and as a PP stated, most commercial root beers contain nothing more than sugars and flavorings, anyway. If, by chance, you found a "real" root beer, the flavoring agent would be sarsaparilla root. You can read about it here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/ref/h...l#sarsaparilla
    Don't feel bad about not knowing. I'm sad, though, to hear that someone is out there spreading misinformation!

If you need to increase supply, the very best way to do so is to nurse more frequently. But first, ask yourself if you really need to increase supply. Here's some info:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

HTH!

Thanks for all the information, it sounded a bit far fetched to me, but I figured I'd check anyhow. Regarding why I need to increase supply, my 3 1/2 mo ds has very poor wt gain, only 1 ounce last week, so this week I am giving him ebm with neonatal formula added, and concentrated formula when I don't have enough ebm. Both measures are at doctor's orders. I am still nursing him once a day so he doesn't completely forget how. We go back to the dr tomorrow to see how his wt gain this week is, and see if we can go back to mostly nursing. He hasn't ever nursed well enough to generate enough supply for him in the first place, so I need to boost supply b/c of the pumping and to get supply up so hopefully he'll maintain it once we are nursing regularly again. I know the most effective thing to do is pump/nurse every 2-3 hours, but I'm pretty low on supply (10-15 ounces a day) so I need all the help I can get.

Exclamation Re: Root beer to increase supply?

[quote=jymarino]Thanks for all the information, it sounded a bit far fetched to me, but I figured I'd check anyhow. Regarding why I need to increase supply, my 3 1/2 mo ds has very poor wt gain, only 1 ounce last week, so this week I am giving him ebm with neonatal formula added, and concentrated formula when I don't have enough ebm. Both measures are at doctor's orders. <

I don't have much time right now to answer you fully, but PLEASE check again with your doc - even get a second opinion - about feeding a baby concentrated formula, as this carries a very high risk for kidney damage!

warmly,
    LLLnormaR