Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you handle naps?

Default How do you handle naps?

Hi - Our DS is only 7 months old, so no plans to wean anytime soon, but I am a little concerned about his sleep habits at naptime. At bedtime he has started falling asleep in his crib after nursing, but at naptime he just won't do it. So I nurse him until he is very, very sleepy, then do a "Pantley Pull-Off" and get him into his crib on his side and pat his back. Sometimes I can do this while he is still partly awake, and he'll fall asleep quickly while I pat his back. Other times, he really needs to be essentially asleep or he will fuss and resist going to sleep in his crib. He doesn't nap particularly well, and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he doesn't always fall asleep in the crib but often in my arms.

Just wondering how you deal with this once a child is weaned? I don't have a specific weaning age in mind, but it will definitely be before DS is ready to stop napping. I also would like to improve his napping overall, b/c I think he needs more sleep during the day and all these short naps are a bit of a pain. (I also have a 5 yo who no longer naps, so fewer, longer naps would be better for all of us I think.) Thanks for any suggestions - I do have the "No-Cry Sleep Solution", but not the nap book by Pantley. I've been doing the "Pantley Pull-Off" thing for a long time but haven't made much progress for naps.

Default Re: How do you handle naps?

Do you have a bedtime/nap routine? What you could do is nurse, then do something else that gets him all the way asleep. When I get tired of waiting for Lilah to fall asleep nursing, I will walk with her and then sway with her and after about 10 minutes or so I can put her down in her crib. However, at the babysitter she just goes straight to sleep upon being placed in the Pack-N-Play. I tried it and it did not fly in my house!

How many naps a day is he taking and for how long? I think Lilah was probably taking 3 or 4 naps a day at that age ranging from 45 minutes to two hours depending on how things went.

Hi - He's taking 3-4 naps a day, often only 1/2 hour each. Sometimes he'll nap 45 minutes at a stretch. Only rarely has he stayed asleep longer than an hour without having to be nursed back down.

We do have a nap routine, and it usually doesn't take long for him to fall asleep while nursing. I haven't really pushed doing something else - he tends to get really frustrated if I remove him from the breast too soon and try to pat/sway him to sleep. I don't know - this may sound selfish to some, but I don't want to be the only one who can get him down for a nap for the duration of our bfing, and I would really like for him to nap longer for all of us. Thanks for the advice!

Maybe you could have someone else try to get him to nap?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Maybe you could have someone else try to get him to nap?

I think 1/2 hour naps are totally normal at that age. At least my babies do cat naps up until they are over a year. I'm totally fine with that because I believe this is normal. So I can't help you with the duration of the naps.

But I can tell you what works for us in terms of putting DD2 to nap.

I usually put her to sleep myself because I enjoy the bonding. I nurse her to sleep. Other times, when I have things to do, the nanny or DH will put her down. So you don't need to wean or stop nursing her to sleep, you could alternate between you and some other person. That way if you are not available, someone else can help and give you some time to rest or take care of your other child.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but some babies just don't need much sleep

DD went through a HORRIBLE phase where she couldn't sleep longer than 20 minutes. And she was severely grumpy because of it. What about your LO? Does he seem tired/cranky? If he's waking up happy and alert, then you might have a catnapper on your hands. But if he looks like he needs more sleep, then hang in there and keep trying different things. DD likes being sung to--has to be the same song, unfortunately She also has a little blankie that she sucks to sleep and which makes the transition from my arms to the crib *SO* much easier--but you might want to check with your pediatrician first about having things in the crib with baby.