Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you consider essential for a new breastfeeding mom??

Default Re: What do you consider essential for a new breastfeeding mom??

for me, the list is:
    "my breast friend" nursing pillow, nursing bras and pads, lansinoh nipple cream, a good breastfeeding book, this forum (which you've already found ), supportive family and friends, a good pump if you are going to pump (i have the medela PIS advanced), and a bottle of water...remember...drink to thirst!

HTH! good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I know some of these are repeats but
    -Boppy
    -Manual pump (I have the Medela hand held and it is wonderful. Every one is different as far as when thier milk comes in but a lot of people, myself included use it a lot in the first couple of days to help your milk come in. Mine took several days and this is what the doctor told me to do.)
    -A good book on breastfeeding and support (wish I would have found this forum in the first few weeks) and I would trade nothing for my wonderful husband.

A couple of other things that weren't mentioned. My MIL bought me some of the cups that you can put in your bra. I forget what they are called but Advent makes them and I know that you can get them at babycenter.com. They are designed to help draw out inverted nipples but I have found that they are wonderful when your nipples are sore because you can place them in your bra and they catch any leaking milk while letting some air in (no chapping from being pushed up against a wet pad) and when your nipples are sore, there is nothing better than being suspended in air. I also have found that Vitamin Water (by Glacier) is wonderful for rehydrating. It is a flavored water (all kinds of flavors) packed with Vitamins, and low amounts of sugar. It is my understanding that they use no artificial sweetners so it is safe for you too. They are very hydrating and can help replenish some- but water is good too, don't forget it! Most of all you have to decide before you start that you are going to stick with it because the first few weeks are the hardest and for me there was always someone trying to tell me to pull out the formula. Good luck!

Nursing pads. I'm trying reusable wool ones this time, but many moms like the Lansinoh brand of disposables. For overnight, a 100% cotton cloth diaper (prefold) is great to sleep on and absorb the leakage.

Lansinoh cream. But I just discovered Earth Mama Angel Baby's no-lanolin nipple butter. So nice. It doesn't stain like Lansinoh, and it's not sticky.

I just got a set of Booby Tubes, and I think those could be really handy if I get plugged ducts like I did last time. I also got some Bosom Buddies herb packs but you do have to rinse your nipples before feeding, but I have heard they really help with soreness. I got all those, plus the Nipple Butter, in a cute little kit from Earth Mama Angel Baby for a pretty reasonable price.

The number(s) for the local LLL.

Somewhere comfortable to sit or lay down, with snacks and water nearby. I also had a radio where I could reach it with CDs to play. If your baby will let you read while nursing, keep some magazines or books at hand.

I also stashed extra nursing pads, cotton-tipped swabs and washcloths (for cleaning those little crannies on the baby that never seem to come clean during those first baths), tissues, stuff like that, in a basket near my nursing place. The phone went in that basket too, and I could tote the whole basket around later, when we started nursing in more than just a couple spots.

I used a Boppy or other pillow for the first few weeks. If you use one, extra covers are handy -- my kid always seemed to spit up on it!

Books: Womanly Art, Ultimate Guide to Breastfeeding Answers (I think that's the title), and Nursing Mother's Companion, all from LLL.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

No formula or bottles for "just in case" - if you don't have them, you won't use them.

The boppy is a must for us! I also recommend lanolin (Lansinoh or PureLan), and nursing pads (I like Lansinoh or Medela).

Also what was handy for me was the hot / cool packs that you can put in the freezer or microwave, and wear in your bra. I wish I would have had these on hand when I needed them, instead of sending my DH out for them when I was uncomfortable. I have the Gerber ones, they're not bad.

Good luck!!

You are getting some great advice. My advice is be prepared with those items mentioned, especially the boppy or whatever c-shaped nursing pillow you pick. Take it to the hospital. I was wishing I had it those first two days while I was moving pillows here and there. Also and this is not to scare you, because not everyone has sore nipples, but it helped me the second time around to know that initially there would be pain involved. It's different for each person. For me, my sore nipples starting getting better around week 3 or 4, so just hang in there and once that part is over, you can really start to embrace your experience. You can find ways to heal sore nipples here, or with your support group locally. I suggest both. If you can afford it, I suggest hiring a cleaning person or have someone do it for you. You will be breastfeeding a lot in the first month. You might be sitting for an hour for 8-10 times a day. That's why the recomendations for having a basket at the rocker or couch full of magazines, phone(don't forget your support systems #'s), remote, laptop, water, or whatever you want are a good idea. Best wishes for a happy delivery!

In addition to all other posts, I found just a few more things essential- a warm baby, the remote to the tv, and the phone with my best girlfriends number on it!!!! Personal, moral support can be one of the most important tools in your arsenal. I couldn't have lived without the support of a few close friends, my mom, and ofcourse my hubby!!!

A Boppy
    lansinoh nipple cream
    lots of 1 litre water bottles
    instrumental lullabies on a cd player or something like that playing when u nurse (it helps us relax and creates a special atmosphere

Not sure if you will be working and having to pump, but if you do have to pump, I would say get any "hands free" device ..mine saved me! I got so tired of having to hold those cones up to my breasts. I bought a kind of boustier that holds them on for me, so I can read, type on the computer, talk on the phone, eat, etc. while I am pumping. Makes pumping a lot less tedious!

Realism. One of the biggest myths of bf is that it doesn't hurt. It does - and it's very hard, tiring work. My mother told me it really takes two months to get the hang of it and she was right. (Although I had problems long after that, at least by two months, we knew what we were doing.) I think it's difficult for us, when we're so used to things happening quickly, but it really does take a long time. Do your best to be patient.

Some good suggestions above - might I add two pairs of those gel packs. Keep one in the freezer for engorgement and save the other to warm for clogged ducts.

Good for you to be prepared!