Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you consider essential for a new breastfeeding mom??

Default What do you consider essential for a new breastfeeding mom??

What I mean is as what should I get before the baby comes such as breast pads, nipple cream etc/?

Thanks!

Default Re: What do you consider essential for a new breastfeeding mom??

My essential item I get mums to be is a subscription to ( in Australia) my local breastfeeding Association. Does the La Leche League have something similar like a mums gift subscription??
    Otherwise my gift would be help. Like bringing her some ready cooked meals or going over and tidying her house/doing washing etc. Don't know if this sort of thing is done in the US but it is a popular one among the b'feeding mums in Australia.

At the beginning, I found my breastfeeding pillow an essential. A good book (such as the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding) is also a real help.
    Mum to Silas 04-05-06
    Wife to Rob 17-02-00

A boppy! Even after more than 5 months I still can't comfortably BF with out it! I take it everywhere.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Lansinoh breast cream.
    Boppy pillow.
    good book.
    Bottled water.
    When I first started BF DS, I would sit either in the recliner in his room or the corner of the couch, I kept the cordless phone beside me as well as the bottled water, remote, book (I did Sodoki), cream and breast pads. I had everything I needed right beside me all the time. It was a big help. Wish I had my wits about me to do the same at 4 mo. I just breastfeed all over the house now so it's really not an issue. Good luck!!
    Last edited by AJsmommy; September 17th, 2006 at 12:53 PM.

the phone number for your local lll leader.
    call her before you have the baby, that way you'll have somebody to call if you need to talk to another nursing mom.

I would say a support group or contact from lll or someone who has experience doing it.

Also I've heard great things about the book the Nursing companion. If for a working mom, the book nursing mom, working mom.

Good luck

In addition to pp, I didn't have them but I think those pads you can either heat or cool for your breasts would have been great. I will have them next time! I also found a manual pump to relieve engorgement to be helpful. Best wishes and be sure to utilize the support of others.

Hey... I think the most essential things I had for bf were Lansinoh nipple lanolin, disposible breast pads (which might be better in the silky wool washable version), and one of those nursing pillows that surrounds you completely. Now I would have given my right arm for a rocking chair with rocking foot-stool like they had in the hospital, but over here they are WAY too expensive for me...

I also agree with the pp... a manual pump really saved me from some uncomfortable times... i did not use the milk I pumped... but it did help me feel better!!!

also the bottle of water is important...you need to DRINK DRINK DRINK.... by the time you are thirsty you are already low on fluids!!!
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by elizaduck7; September 17th, 2006 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey
    I would say a support group or contact from lll or someone who has experience doing it.

Also I've heard great things about the book the Nursing companion. If for a working mom, the book nursing mom, working mom.

Good luck

Correction the book name is Working Mother, Nursing Mother.