Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping After the Milk Stops

Default Pumping After the Milk Stops

I've read in numerous threads that if you want to increase your supply, one of the MANY things you can try is to continue pumping after your milk stops flowing (for 5-10 minutes). I do this every time I pump and have seen NO results. I've been doing it for months. Not sure why it's not working for me. Anyone have the same thing happen to them? What kind of an increase could I expect if it did work?

Thank you!

Default Re: Pumping After the Milk Stops

Do you pump until the milk lets down again?

What is the total amount of time you are pumping?

What kind of pump are you using?

Are you pumping in place of a feeding, or after?

How much are you yielding?

Is your baby having 5-6 good wet diapers a day?

Have you tried "power pumping"? (pump 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes, repeat for 60 minutes)

Do you pump until the milk lets down again? It depends. I usually have 2-3 letdowns during a normal pumping session. After the normal amount of letdowns is when I will pump for the extra 5 minutes.

What is the total amount of time you are pumping? Usually 25-30 minutes.

What kind of pump are you using? I own a PISA, but I'm using a rented Lactina.

Are you pumping in place of a feeding, or after? I do both. I nurse when I'm home with my DD...pump after feeding at 9pm and 4am and then pump 3x at work in place of feedings.

How much are you yielding? 9pm - 2 to 3 ounces; 4am - 4 1/2 to 5 ounces and then each time at work between 4 to 5 ounces.

Is your baby having 5-6 good wet diapers a day? Yes

Have you tried "power pumping"? (pump 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes, repeat for 60 minutes) No I haven't.

I'm not worried that my supply is low because I'm making enough to feed my baby and freeze a bunch...I'm just wondering why I'm not getting more each time when I pump for that extra time. Would I get more in the 2 to 3 letdowns I normally have OR would the extra pumping cause an extra letdown? I guess I'm confused??

Thank you again!

Part of the problem is that a mama's body gets used to the pump and it doesn't respnd as favorably over time as it will to nursing.

To try and mix things up, you might try power pumping once a day if you have the time and see if that helps trick your body a bit.

You have really good output and a good number of let downs when you pump. I was curious, obviously, if you were worried about your suppy.

Maybe another mama will chime in on why pumping longer isn't producing more.

Ok, I may try power pumping tonight...if I can muster up the energy! LOL!

I appreciate your insight - thank you!

How do you count letdowns? Is it noticable? How big do let downs tend to be?

Unhappy I have mastitis and low milk supplys i need help

I just give birth two weeks ago and i developed mastitis in my left breast and i am on meds but i pump and dump that milk and i feed my baby on the right side only but I dnt produce enought milk for her to satisfy her. Plus my milk is started to look cloudy and water down is that normal. also she been using formula and i dnt like giving it to her but when i dnt produce enough or any milk i have no choice what can i do because i dnt want to give up on breastfeeding