Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: About to start expressing - which pump, changing bottles and other questions!

Question About to start expressing - which pump, changing bottles and other questions!

Hi

I have been EBF my son for 6 weeks and am due to go back to work one day a week in 6 weeks time.

I have a Medela Swing on loan from a friend (but have no complete bottles with this) and was going to start with this and use some other brand bottles we have also been given. (I sterilise them all and just decant from the bottle I expressed in into the other, right?)

But as I'll be away from him for 6hrs at a time I think in the longer term a dual pump may be better.

So, am I going to cause problems starting him with one type of bottle/nipple then changing it once I start back at work?

We were going to start this week with expressing after 6pm so my husband can do the midnight (or thereabouts) feed..... but Xan isn't on a routine with his feeds and cluster feeds at night, so I am not sure on the logistics of doing this should I express as I feed him? Or wait for a break in the feeding frenzy??

Also, which electric pump would be best? Am I right considering a dual pump? If so, I am thinking about the Ameda Lactaline.

I'm in a real pickle about all this. I love BF and am really scared pumping will somehow mess it all up - not logical, I know...!

I'd just love to have an idiots guide to expressing....is there one out there!?

Any advice at all is welcome!
    First time Mummy to Xan born on 4/09/09.
    Loving the cloth and

Default Re: About to start expressing - which pump, changing bottles and other questions!

Well, we tried expressing last night and my husband gave Xan his midnight feed....

Not so goood..... I expressed 3 fl oz in 10 mins (is that reasonable? It doesn't seem like much...) and we put it in the fridge. Husband took it out and ran it under the hot tap and tried to give it to Xan but he wasn't having any of it.
    He didn't even seem to try sucking (it was a "closer to nature" bottle and I wonder if, given my fast let down, he is just not used to having to suck much??) - also the lid was not on properly so he ended up with milk all down him, which was quite cold as my husband had not heated it for long....

The rest of the night was sheer hell as Xan never got properly back to sleep, seemed really unsettled and unhappy and wanted to be held most of the night.

So, we're trying again tonight. Going to use a different bottle and a bottle warmer we have been given.

Still hoping for any tips or advice....
    Loving the cloth and

Default Re: About to start expressing - which pump, changing bottles and other questions!

I'm on my phone so sorry for a rambling reply to come.

You will definitely want a double electric pump. Look into a Pump In Style Advanced or Amrda Purely Yours. www.bestbuybaby.com has phenomenal prices (I got my Freestyle there for $100 bucks less than Babies R Us sells it for...including shipping. It's a great pump if you need super portable and don't mind spending $270 on a pump. The others I listed are less $)

3 oz in 10 minutes is great. Since you are using a single electric, is that one side or both?average output is like 2 oz for a lot of mama's. The general rule for feeding a baby when mama's gone is 1-1.5 oz an hour.

You can pump on one side while you nurse on the other. I like the idea of adding a pumping session in the morning when you have lots of milk. And I had success adding a pumping session after my DD went to bed for her longer stretch. I would take a warm bath, then pump, then dream feed her.

Some babies are picky about a bottle, some are not. I'm not sure I would use a faster flow of bottle right now. Stick with the slow flow. He is probably not happy about a bottle in general. Some babies never really love the bottle and don't eat as much while mama is gone, then nurse a lot to make up for it. It's called reverse cycling.

With you being gone only six hours, he will probably be ok on only a few oz, especially if you cosleep so he can have mama's all night buffet.

As to warming the milk, you don't want it too warm. Test the temp your milk is when it comes out. It's not hot. You might try running the bottle nipple under warm water for a second also.

www.kellymom.com has some good tips on how to bottlefeed a breastfed baby and tips on how to get a reluctant baby to take a bottle.

Keep having dad try. Maybe you could let him bottlefeed around dinner and not disrupt in the middle of the night with something different.

Thanks so much - great advice.

I pumped on one side only - he only feeds on one side so I figured I'd always pump the side he is not on or has not been n if he has just finished.

We're in the UK, but will look up the pumps you recommended.

Thanks again, you've really reassured me
    Loving the cloth and

Yeah 3 oz on one side is really awesome output. (insert jealous smiley here...) That 2 oz I was talking about is both sides combined.

Rest assured, it will all work out.

agreed with everything SYP already posted, also you may want to try another bottle/nipple combo... the type of bottle/nipple you use is not specific to the pump you use, there are adapters to make nearly any bottle fit onto nearly any pump, i highly recommend the Medela PISA but other moms have had great success with the Ameda Purely yours as well.

also to reiterate the timing of the bottle feeding: you probably want to try to do the dinner feed or another late afternoon feeding and keep nursing for the middle of the night feeds to keep everyone 'in the zone!' my DH had great sucess bottle feeding DS while I was showering each night and then I would pump after Ds had falllen asleep to make up for it
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks so much everyone!
    Xan took almost 3fl oz from his Dad at 7pm last night - warming the bottle and nipple seemed to help. He was perfectly happy, even when I came into the room.
    We used an Avent bottle, which he found easier to suck from, but I think it was a culmination of lots of things like time, warmth etc that meant he'd take it.

Thanks again - let's hope it stays this way!

Off to see if we have enough in the bank to buy a snazzy new pump.

Loving the cloth and