Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re-using other people's cones/storage bottles: Does it REALLY matter if they're new?

Default Re-using other people's cones/storage bottles: Does it REALLY matter if they're new?

Hi all!

Okay, I get it that moisture gets stuck in the tubes of pumps, sometimes for long periods of time. I get it that the membranes aren't too easy to clean. But the cones and the plastic storage containers? They're just plastic. Surely if I wash them well and boil them for a good 20 minutes, no germs could live on them, right?

I have a bunch of cones that I got from a friend who's not using them. SHE got them from some random person on the internet when she bought her pump used (like a good girl, she replaced all her parts). I haven't used any of these parts--they're just sitting in my house. If they're truly unsanitary and untrustworthy, if there's a real chance that they might infect my baby with something, I'll trash them. But if they're safe... I hate wasting things, and I hate spending money that I don't have to spend.

What is the official word, ladies? Safe, or not?

Thank you!
    -Chris

Default Re: Re-using other people's cones/storage bottles: Does it REALLY matter if they're n

*I* would reuse your friends if you feel comfortable to do so after sterelizing them.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!