Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slowed down on pumping

Default Slowed down on pumping

I EBF my 10wk old. I also used to pump after almost every feeding. I recently have stopped pumping after each feeding. Will that hurt my supply for feeding my LO or should i continue to pump. Sometimes i will pump in the am and one time in the afternoon. I am at home all day with her...i only work 2 days a week. Is it ok not to pump when i am at home with her and only pump when i need some extra milk (like for when we go somewhere and dont want to thaw out frozen milk?)

Default Re: Slowed down on pumping

Why are you pumping every time you nurse? You can definitely stop doing that and only pump when you are away from your baby. If you have been pumping a lot of milk during the days that you are nursing her, you may have to wean from the pumping so that you don't end up with plugged ducts or mastitis.

Oh - it won't hurt your supply to stop pumping when you are with your baby. That is extra milk that you are telling your body to produce that your baby doesn't need, if that makes sense. So when you are away from your baby, your body will be producing the milk you need for your baby - you can pump that and have it for the next day when you are way from your baby again.

Were you trying to increase your supply by pumping after feeding, or were you just trying to build up a freezer stash?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Oh - it won't hurt your supply to stop pumping when you are with your baby. That is extra milk that you are telling your body to produce that your baby doesn't need, if that makes sense. So when you are away from your baby, your body will be producing the milk you need for your baby - you can pump that and have it for the next day when you are way from your baby again.

Were you trying to increase your supply by pumping after feeding, or were you just trying to build up a freezer stash?

I was pumping to get a freezer stash My freezer stash is pretty good too. I dont think ive had cogged ducts....i had low supply for my first LO and had to stop BF at like 4wks so i just started pumping after feedings to be sure not to have that problem i guess LOL. I nursae on demand while we are together and if by some chance we are away from home and i dont nurse her and give her a bottle i be sure to pump as soon as we get home if its not feeding time again.

It sounds like you are doing great!!